FORTY FOUR

Lauren glanced around the place, her eyes silently admiring the pretty lights that were beautifully decorating the bushes. Rose petals were scattered dramatically on the floor. She followed them and she ended in front of a pool, where candles and flowers were floating on the waters. There was also a table for two near the glistening pool.

Soft music suddenly filled the air. She looked at her left and a group of musicians were playing their violins and guitars.

Liam appeared behind them. "Hey guys, stop. Not yet," he chuckled, then gave Lauren a look of apology. "Sorry 'bout that, I thought you're Mani."

Lauren let out a soft laugh. She opened her bag and pulled a small purple box. "Are you seriously going to propose without this?" she asked, waving the box in front of him.

"Holy shit," he gasped, then grabbed the box from her hands. "Shit. How did you-

"You left that in my house earlier, you idiot," she laughed. Liam went to her place hours ago to ask for some advice and encouragement regarding his proposal. He showed the ring to her and he probably got too excited and occupied, causing him to left the box on Lauren's dining table.

"Oh God," he murmured. "You're an angel, Lo. First, I met Normani because of you and now you literally saved me from a horrendous wedding proposal."

"And I'm actually about to save Luigi's ass tonight," she beamed proudly. "I'll look after Ryla because he planned a surprise anniversary dinner for Dustin."

"Oh wow! It's been a year since their wedding?"

"Uh-huh. Crazy, right? Never thought someone would keep up with Luigi," she laughed.

"He'll kill you once he learns what you're saying behind his back."

"Tell him about it and I'll make sure Mani wouldn't marry you."

Liam raised his hands in surrender. "I'll never dare. My lips are sealed."

"Good," she grinned. "I have to run or Luigi will skin me alive. Good luck, Liam."

"Thanks. I'm so nervous now."

"Don't be. Mani loves you so much. And I'm seriously very happy for you, you deserve all the good things."

"You deserve them too, Lo. Don't ever forget that. One day you'll be happy. Like really happy."

She just smiled wistfully. "I am happy."

He stared at her deeply, his eyes quizzing her. "Are you sure?"

Lauren knew that she couldn't fool him. But she wasn't in the mood to talk about it now. This was supposed to be Liam's night, not hers.

"I really have to go. Bye, Liam. Spill everything to me tomorrow, alright?" she said, waving her hand while walking away.

"Got it. Say hi to Luigi and Dustin for me!"

"I will!" she yelled, then hurriedly left the restaurant's garden. She headed to her car and drove off.

She was smiling like an idiot while hitting the road. She was really happy for Liam and Normani. Their paths crossed a year ago when she hired Normani as one of the cartoonists for Zap Kids. When the two met in a party, Lauren immediately felt the connection between the two.

How lovely was it that Liam met his soul mate because of her? She felt like she finally did something good to him after all those heartaches she caused him. She'd been so cruel to him in the past. And now, Liam would marry the girl of his dreams because of her.

She tried to love Liam more than a friend. God knows how hard she tried. She went out with him two months after her greatest heartbreak. She gave Liam a chance because he patiently waited for her. But just after a month of dating, she realized that it was impossible to teach the heart.