There was a danger that she was doing too much, pushing too hard, but it was really important. It was an early point in any sort of relationship with Joel, but she knew him better than anyone else, it felt right...and this was the first for the three of them, a milestone event. She only hoped it lived up to the billing.

It was cold, but despite that, her favourite cafe in the town had some tables on the kerbside, and a heater attached to the wall to take the edge off the December chill. So with a cup of tea she sat and watched the world go by for half an hour, saying her hellos, waving and wishing people - friends and neighbours, a happy Christmas. She couldn't remember feeling that relaxed before.

Mike crossed the road opposite and waved to her, "you taking five?" He called across.

She nodded, "the calm before the chaos!"

As he waved, rushing on his way, a car appeared between them blocking her view, and her mother waved from the passenger seat, "Joel's treating us all to lunch."

Before she could respond, the man in question jumped out of the driving seat and came around to grab her bags, "that's if you can spare an hour from your tight schedule."

Standing she looked up at him with a smile, "it's a perfect suggestion, but only if I have a kiss first."

His eyes widened, "your mother..."

"...will find out soon enough, and I've missed those lips all morning."

That was obviously the best answer, as he lowered her shopping bags to the floor then wrapped his arms around her and took control of her lips rather dramatically. She was powerless to resist, and boneless in her reaction to him.

"A bit more than I intended," he grimaced when he pulled back and smiled at her.

She gave a shrug, "bit less than I wanted."

Then with a wink she made her way to the car and as she climbed in the back next to her daughter, and Joel wrestled with her shopping, Monica called out, "about time Edwards. Didn't think you'd ever be man enough!"

And that made them all laugh.

Sammy was peeling potatoes later, when two arms encircled her from behind, lunch had been amazing, Monica had behaved, Eleanor had been a darling, and Sammy started to see signs that this COULD work, that everyone could be happy.

Leaning back in his embrace, she loved the sensation of his hands sliding up her arms, Joel's strong body behind her, his lips as they captured the tip of her ear.

"You ok? Eleanor's looking very tired."

She turned in his arms and smiled, "she can put her cookie out for Santa soon."

Smiling he swooped his lips down to capture hers, and the kiss as like oxygen to an open flame.

"So we spend Christmas Eve alone?" He asked leaning back to look down into her eyes.

She nodded slowly, "until the chaos that tomorrow promises to be."

"I'm looking forward to it," he lowered his head to sweep his lips over hers. "The first time since I was about ten."

Her face lit up with pleasure, "I only hope it lives up to your expectations."

It was his turn to smile, "I'm spending it with a woman I really care about and THE cutest little girl in the world. Not even your mother could spoil it."

Sammy's eyebrow lifted in surprise, "really?"

"At this moment really, but I may change my mind when she actually gets here."