Part Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Seven

"Seduction?" Corinne smiled then clapped her hands together excitedly. "This is ace!"

A few heads turned at her increase in volume and Sammy blushed wishing they'd had this conversation in private rather than one of the busiest cafes in town at lunchtime.

"Ok, don't tell the whole town."

Giggling she quietened down to a whisper, "I know, but it's SO exciting."

They'd met on Corinne's very brief lunch break and it had taken just a few moments to bring her up to date with the previous evening. They'd spoken briefly on the phone, but it wasn't until they got together that Sammy felt able to really unload.

"It's not JUST seduction though, is it? I mean we almost had sex in London at his place. I know he likes me, and last night he told me he'd always liked me. But that's not enough. How do I get him past Marcus, get him over this?"

She grimaced, "that I'm less sure. I mean I could understand if you were still living in his house, Marcus I mean. But this house has nothing to do with him."

Sammy groaned, "other than his father helped me buy the place. I don't want to take the pictures of him down, I owe it to Eleanor that she sees him, that she knows him."

Corinne sighed, "but she'll never know him, not really, but you can tell her, you can talk to her. A photo of a stranger doesn't give her memories. Maybe you need to take them away, or just put them in her room? I mean it must be really hard for him to see those pictures..." Corinne reached out a hand and tapped her left hand, "and then there's that."

Sammy looked down at Corinne's fingers as they touched her wedding and engagement ring. She wasn't even aware that she was wearing them; it was such an automatic thing. She'd worn them for too long. Biting her bottom lip she lifted her eyes to Corinne.

"The poor man, kind of getting mixed messages."

Sammy nodded, "I didn't even notice."

Squeezing her hands, Corinne sighed, "look you are my best friend, you are the best person I know. If you want this man, then show him that you are truly over Marcus. They say actions speak louder than words."

Later that afternoon Sammy and Eleanor got back to an empty house, and she started putting her plan in to action. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, she only had today to act, as once Christmas came then it was all about family, all about the festivities, all about the celebration. Corinne was picking Eleanor up on the way home and letting her have a sleep over. Her best friend would spoil her daughter so she didn't feel self indulgent. Not really.

Though she did feel a little guilty.

She hadn't seen Joel since breakfast time, and it had been a little awkward, he was struggling to meet her eyes and she realised she'd pushed him too hard, he was way out of his comfort zone and didn't know how to deal with that.

Her and Ellie had still been eating their breakfast when he reappeared and told her that he was heading to a town about thirty miles away to meet a business acquaintance.

"Will you be back?"

She hated that she sounded so desperate, but she really worried that she'd scared him off.

With a sad smile he nodded, "of course, I'm not about to abandon you two."

That made her feel even worse, suddenly she was a responsibility...a burden. She sounded like her mother. With a groan as she watched him leave the house, she suddenly realised that once again she'd have to visit her mother. Not something she relished.