Part Four

Chapter Four

A/N Sorry at the delay, internet crashed at home, had to have a man out to fix the line. But kept writing, so quick chapters to follow!

Enjoy.

"So you'll come to the anniversary party?" Daniel was sat across the cafe table from Sammy. "My parents would love to see you and of course Eleanor." He glanced at the baby asleep in the pushchair beside them.

Sammy couldn't quite believe his cheek; Margaret and Clifford Turner had not crossed the city once since her daughter was born; now he seriously expected them to parade her around at a family event.

She shook her head, "no. No way. I'm not stopping them seeing Ellie, but to be honest some huge society party is not the place for an introduction." She eyed him for a moment, "I don't understand why you think I would agree."

His head dropped for a moment and when he looked up at her he had a needy expression on his face. He had similar features to his brother, blonde hair, a square jaw, large brown eyes, but he had none of his brother's charisma or confidence, he'd always been in his shadow, always been the second son. Never had Marcus looked at her so desperately.

"I promised them you'd come."

She shrugged, "You'll have to un-promise." She was resolute. "I won't sway on this Daniel."

He scowled for a moment, "but if you come it's a chance to sort this out. You have a place in this family."

"I don't NEED them, I am putting Ellie first. You...and they will have to get used to it."

She wondered if she'd have been so determined, so independent if she wasn't sure that she had financial security, they after all had money, and that was something she thought she was about to run out of, but thanks to Joel sorting through things for her she wasn't worried about her future, not in the same way.

He smiled then, "sorry, I have no right to ask that of you...it's just that my mother is so defeated, I thought that bringing you both together...it might be what you both need."

She sighed, "look I don't hate your parents, but they have not thought about me at all over the last year, and I don't mind about that. But look at her, look at Eleanor. Have they done right by her?"

Daniel crossed his arms, "they will love her, but they just need a little coaxing."

She shook her head, "I don't owe them anything."

"It's what Marcus would want."

That was the lowest gibe known to man; she was almost winded by it. She stood immediately and stared at him, "I cannot believe you would say that."

"Sammy, I'm sorry."

Holding a hand to silence him, she shook her head not wanting to hear anymore. Instead she turned and left, pushing a still sleeping Eleanor in front of her.

"He said WHAT?"

Corinne was the perfect friend instantly saying the right thing, instantly at her defence. Sammy leaned back, Eleanor stretched out on her belly, head on her shoulder, just watching her mother.

"Do you want me to go to his house and punch him? I mean BLACKMAIL?? The bastard. I never did like him. I told you he came onto me at your wedding. Made my skin crawl."

When Sammy chuckled Eleanor looked at her quizzically, she was starting to roll and her control was improving every day.

"Even Ellie's agreeing with that comment."