Part Nine

Chapter Nine

"So how do I look?" Sammy burst into the lounge giving an elaborate twirl as she went. Eventually stopping in front of Corinne and her boyfriend Mike who were sat on the sofa smiling. She'd bought a new dress for the occasion, it was a long time since she'd dressed up to go anywhere and the sense of rebellion that was linked to this evening was almost making her giddy. The Turners didn't do anything by half so she'd gone for a full length black dress, empire line as she wasn't even remotely over her baby shape, but with the sequinned detailed low cut top and flowing full skirt, she felt sexier than she had in a year. She had chosen a slight heel and that fact, plus the spinning were making her wobble.

Corinne was laughing; Mike smiling as they both stared at her, but it wasn't their voices that answered her.

"Amazing! But are you pissed already?"

She spun again to look towards the front door where Joel stood leaning against the door frame, dressed in a suit, which was no surprise for him, but his dark hair was trendily scruffy, and his jaw clean shaven. His eyes were sparkling as he reached out and steadied her because the final spin had sent her balance out of control.

"I'm not drunk!" She clung onto him with one hand, lifting her skirt with the other to reveal the diamante shoes she'd bought on a whim. "But I haven't worn heels in...forever."

He grinned then turned to Corinne and Mike, "anyone else get the sense tonight is going to be crazy?"

Corinne chuckled, "wish I was coming now instead of babysitting this little lady." She bounced Eleanor on her knee then as the little one grinned she changed her mind, "nope. One of those smiles makes it ALL worthwhile. Go you two and have a fantastic night, show those bastard Turners what they've been missing out on by ignoring you. You'll glow girlfriend."

Sammy turned to them both and gave a beaming smile, "I'll keep you updated!"

Joel had ordered a cab, and it was waiting patiently at the kerb when they emerged. He was still holding onto Sammy, but her gait had become a little less terrifying as she was getting used to things, but he was still feeling protective. Sat next to her in the dark car he looked across at her, her gaze was fixed on the route ahead, but even from the side he could see the sparkle in her eyes. She wasn't a classically beautiful woman, but from the moment he'd seen her on a Greek beach years earlier he'd been intrigued by her. Her flawless pale skin, her lustrous dark red hair and a figure that was suited to Greek mythology were all the complete opposite to the women he was attracted to, but on her it was a lethal combination, after all she had floored his womanising friend a day later when they were on the stranded ferry. Since coming back into her life she'd lost her spark, her eyes had been devoid of her usual sparkle, her glorious hair dragged back off her face, and her clothes shapeless, dark, her mourning for her husband wasn't just external, he knew that.

He smiled as she looked at him and winked, her joie de vivre was back, she was glowing in a way she hadn't in a long time. Again that made him smile.

"You're looking forward to this, aren't you?"

She chuckled, "is it wrong to want to thrust my middle finger in the direction of the Turners?"

He laughed, "no, they were always good to me, but since Marcus died..." he gulped, those words still hurt, "well they've not cared. You are right to keep your distance."

"Keep my distance? I'm about to walk into their Ruby Wedding Party."

He nodded, "physical distance is one thing, but that's not what I mean."