Bonus Chapter: Zac Attack

Start from the beginning

"Can I just see Lars Lawson, please?" The crazy blonde begs impatiently, trying to plead and reason with Stacey as if to sway her. It's obvious that the girl is desperate. "I know you said that I have to schedule an appointment with him, but I really have to see him. Can't you slot me in? I'll try to make it quick. I've come a long way to see him. I need to see him. I can't wait any longer. Please."

Stacey begins to shake her head at the girl, but I'm quick to step in, "I'll take her," I interrupt on impulse, not thinking straight as I volunteer myself up to the task.

The girl turns to face me, her oddly familiar hazel eyes lighting up in relief, "Really?"

I nod, "Absolutely," I answer in sarcasm. I wouldn't say I would if I didn't mean it.

Stace turns to me in bewilderment, "Zac, you can't just-"

I place my finger against her lips, willing her to shut it, "Ssh," I command.

Stacey scowls and swats my hand away before shrugging at the girl as if to allow it. The blonde breaks out into a smile as a result.

Stacey warns before I can leave, "You're responsible, Stokes, if Lars questions this. You know that he doesn't appreciate being caught off guard."

Sh*t!

I shrug, playing it off cool, as I address the next word to Stacey, "Fine."

"Your funeral," Stacey chimes carelessly. She's not exactly my biggest fan right now.

I start walking back toward the direction of the countless stairs, but then stop to glance back over my shoulder at the dubious girl, "You coming or what?"

She nods with uncertainty floating through her eyes as she quickly catches up with me. She follows me up the stairs, "Not one for elevators?" She makes conversation as if genuinely chatty when not pissed off like she was a few seconds ago.

"Not when they're in maintenance," I answer back dully as I slowly but surely lead her in the direction of Lars. She must have some death wish if she wants to see him this badly. If anything, I'd be trying to avoid him and steer clear of him as best I can. If I could, I'd be on the other side of the damn planet.

"So, how do you know Mr. Lawson?" She questions in interest.

I groan as I peg her down for what she is, "Great, you're one of those talkative ones."

She scoffs as if not taking the insult in at all, "Great, you're one of those obnoxious ones."

A subconscious grin finds it's way onto my face as I turn back to glance at her, "Got spunk huh?"

"Only when it's needed," she shrugs, blunt as ever.

Satisfied with her answer, I go on to answer her initial question, "Lars is my stepdad."

"Didn't realize he..." she trails off, "nevermind."

She seems astounded by the news, but I continue on recklessly, "He left my mother and my mother left me. Needless to say, my mom and I aren't exactly close. I work for Lars 'cause if I don't, he'll kick me out and I'll lose everything. I have nowhere to go. Without him, I'm nothing, and he knows it. It's called manipulation - blackmail. Let's just say that it's like paying off a debt." I explain, telling her more than I should. I can't help it. It seems she wouldn't care either way so I might as well vent to a complete stranger. It's not like I'll ever see her again.

"Wow," she states as if disappointed, "he sounds like a real jerk."

I chuckle humorlessly, "That's an understatement." I change the subject quickly and smirk tauntingly down at her when I see her breathless and struggling, "You're not very fit, are you?"