"We could use the pods too, fly them into the heart of the cities and make them think it's just more evacuators, when really the pods could be filled with nuclear bombs." One woman says. 

"Nice element of surprise, but we've never been a planet that's out to kill." Someone called.

"We never were, hon', but we sure as hell are now. Looks like we ain't got another choice."

We throw around ideas and talk for a while longer, until around 5:30. Then one of the Rebel Leaders takes the bullhorn back and says, "Alright, I think that's enough for today. It's time to give the dead a proper funeral." He pauses, "Since there are so many deaths, we are going to say one speech for all the fallen, and then individuals may come forward one at a time to speak about their loved ones. We've had many loses so beware folks, this could take all night."

Everyone walks up the stairs and outside silently, where within five minutes, one ginormous casket was set out. A box as big as a house, with all the dead inside, sealed shut. Almost everyone had tears in their eyes; some people were sobbing. I guess I'm glad I didn't get to know very many people here yet, or I would've lost them. Although it's sad that many of the bodies can't even be recognized. No one will ever know who they were.

Soon a blazing fire is roaring in a perfect circle around the casket. Then the casket is lit afire and the people are cremated. The fire burns strong as one of the instructors goes up to speak. "Many souls were lost in the past day. All of them were good people, people of Jupiter. They will not be forgotten. May they rest in eternal peace, wherever they may be now. We can only hope that they are safe and well, in a place beyond earthly troubles. We know they will continue to be with us, in everything we do. They are part of who we are. We carry them in our hearts and minds always." More people started crying.

"Amen." Somebody called in response. 

"At this time you may come up one by one to speak about a loved one. You can speak as if they are here; gain a last bit of consolation. You can talk about reasons they will be missed. About all the things they accomplished, or about all the things they never got to accomplish. Anything. Anyone may speak, for as long as you like. We have all night. Who would like to go first?"

And so it began. Person after person went up and spoke of loved ones, of how much they miss them. Of how they wish the bombing hadn't happened, how much they want to turn back the clock. How much hope the dead took away with them. As a people, we don't have a lot left.

I notice Natalie crying silently, and Mark with a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?" I ask.

"I- yeah, just... two of my friends are in there." She says, pointing at the casket.

"I'm so sorry." I say, and Neil pulls her into a big bear hug.

Natalie starts to cry harder. "It'll be okay, Tally." Neil says, being the big brother I know he wishes he had been for the last four years.

"No, Neil. It won't." Tally said. "I remember when mom and dad died. I was holding dad's hand as he passed. It was never ok. It's still not ok. And now Luke and Sheila are gone too. At least the epidemic was slow. I got to say goodbye." She looks up, "Not this time. I never even found their bodies."

Neil hugs her tighter. "Why don't you go up and talk about them? They'll live on as long as you keep them in your life. If you talk about them, and think of them. As long as you don't forget them, they'll live on."

Natalie nodded slightly and pulled back. She walked up to the fire and spoke softly, wiping her tears away. "Sheila, Luke... I miss you." She choked out a shaky little laugh. "Thanks for being the best friends I could ever want. Thank you for being there for me, even when I was at my lowest. Even when mom and dad died. " She paused. "Thanks for all the amazing memories."

"Remember when we all got bored, stole a pod, and flew to Saturn? And Luke rewired the pod to go faster so we were back in time for dinner." She laughed again, and it was a little less forced this time. "Or remember when we pranked the professor? We almost got him fired, what with the paint gun and the melted rubber." I look around and see a few other kids her age smiling softly at the memory; they had been there too. They had known these kids.

All of a sudden the deaths were real. Those were real people, with entire lives ahead of them. Ended with just the snap of a finger.

"Anyways, just thanks, for being so great. I'll never forget you. No matter what. I'll keep the tradition going too, as long as I can. I promise." She says. "I love you guys."

She walks back to us and almost the entire crowd starts cheering. "You did good." Neil said, and Mark gave her a hesitant half-smile.

"What's the tradition?" He asked.

"Oh, just a little inside joke we have. Every year now, for four years. In a few days it'll be the fifth year." She says. The four of us sit as the speeches get longer. Mark puts an arm around Natalie and she rests her head on his shoulder, still crying a little. Neil holds my hand tightly and we listen to the people talking.

Of course it was a sad day, but there was something almost serene about being near the fire with this big family I've come to know on Jupiter. There's something peaceful about all being here together, just reminiscing and talking about old times.

The fire burns strong, keeping us comfortable and warm. Eventually I'm aware of lying down. Neil pulls me close. A nice breeze blows the smoke away from us, and I start to drift off. With Jupiter's amazing night sky above us, Neil's arms around me, and the murmur of low voices everywhere, I fall into a dreamless sleep.