Prologue: Prophecy

Start from the beginning

Janica's eyes widened as she stared at the Council's mage.

Calithia folded her arms and shifted her weight. "Since when did you become a smiting time mage? I thought you had to be good and noble or something, and nobody's that good. Certainly not you."

"You are not one to talk, child." Gizelle's smooth blue face iced over. "I do not see you as being fit to rule. "

"And this ugly little snot is?" yelled Calithia. "I didn't say I wanted Father to die now, I'd rather keep him around for a while. He amuses me."

"Indeed," said Gizelle, "no fourteen year old San ever succeeded in doing anything more than being amused. You will have an ugly little baby weighing down your arms before two seasons have passed. At least you'll have a kel's baby, not a hostler's. You lucked out this time. I'm not going to take care of it for you again, I just won't, though any child from you would only cause chaos in the keldom. Tavaris Himself would seek your son out." Gizelle's back straightened further, if possible, as she turned to Janica. "And you, little vixen, take Tutang to your sister, Albey."

"Yes, Madam," said Janica. "I know which sister." Her two mahogany-colored braids slid forward, off her shoulders as her head sunk lower. She took the baby to her chest, pukey blanket and all. A crafty smile tinged her face as she slid towards the door. She and Calithia had been friends for years, Calithia knew that smile. Janica was planning some new scheme above and beyond conceiving the Second Heir.

Inappropriate as always, Karina said, "Janica, why did you allow the kitchens to take you so long?"

Janica halted in the door, arms tightened. A bit of panic erased the crafty look. Tutang kicked hard and started to moan.

"Oh, don't whine," said Gizelle, one of the few who could talk that way to the Second San. "The girl is about to pop, you can't expect her to move quickly." She swooshed her hand towards the door. "Just go take the little kel to get fed. He's suffered enough for the moment."

And then Gizelle's earlier words hit her womb and Calithia's mind fuzzed.

Lithia didn't want a baby, at least not until she had been in the Robes for a while and needed to produce someone to replace her. She wasn't supposed to have a baby until she was properly married and people expected an heir with whomever Mother deemed worthy. Mother was
already negotiating for Calithia's First Kel. She wouldn't be happy about Lithia's little problem --- unless Mother happened to already be negotiating with Vizo's mother. That is, if this was Vizo's baby. Most likely was. Anyway, Gizelle would be able to tell. Or at least lie and say it was, like she lied about ancient law and got Karina to birth Tutang early so he could be Second Heir. Lithia really liked Vizo and couldn't help a brief smile.

This hadn't been a problem the other few times, as Gizelle seemed to take delight in sucking the wari of whatever lived in the womb. It's how the mage stayed so young despite being something like a million years old. Well, maybe not a million, but at least a few hundred. Except for her ancient eyes, Gizelle could have been mistaken to be twenty something, though admittedly it was hard to tell with that sky blue skin of hers. Certainly exotic. She likely had men following her around, if they dared approach a mind mage of such skill. Actually, Gizelle would likely have any man she wanted , since she manipulated emotions so well. If she even cared about that sort of thing at her age.

Ancestors! Gizelle could have at least told her she wouldn't help any more before it was an issue. This would explain Calithia's constant feeling of puking.

"Why are you looking so blank?" said Karina.

"Isn't it obvious?" said Gizelle, smirking smugly. "I just told her she was pregnant again, and she's not happy I'm refusing to take care of it for her."

"Well," said Karina, folding her arms importantly as if she were Lithia's mother and had a say in her life, "it's about time she learned responsibility. A Royal should be taught the value of life." She glared at Lithia. "You shouldn't take your station so lightly, child. Ancestors! what has your mother taught you? You are the heir, for Otherworld's sake. Keep your legs together!"

"Royals sleep around all the time." Icy anger slid down Calithia's spine. "Look at Father. You can't tell me Janica's baby is really next in line after fourteen years of one whore after another. And, I mean, how do we even know for sure that your ugly little Tutang is really Father's baby, anyway? Haven't you got like a dozen bondmen? Men you've spread your legs for, anyway."

"I can tell paternity easily enough," said Gizelle with an annoying amount of smugness in her smile. "And as far as whether there are any other children in line for the Robes, that is irrelevant, as no other women have come forward with a claim. No one else has been legitimized. It is you, sweet little Calithia, who are heir at the moment. Janica's son is next, despite what the Second San wishes."

"You just said that screaming whelp is going to wear the robes!" said Calithia.

Gizelle shrugged. "Just an impression I got."

"Yeah, well, you're not a time mage," said Calithia. Karina beamed. "Anyway," Lithia turned to the Second San, "why did you take that leaf to get him out early? It didn't do anything to make him second. Janica still bedded Father first. Third in line is hardly impressive. Fourth, now, since my little kel or san is ahead of yours by sake of being my problem."

Anger flashed over Karina's eyes as she glanced at Gizelle. "You will know why, impudent little heir, in about seven months when you are too uncomfortable to breathe. I was sick of being pregnant with that thing. It was time for proper nurses to take care of him and let me rest."

"Royals are so pathetic," said Calithia as she rubbed pain from her breast. Gizelle just smiled as they strode into the corridor.

***

In the corridor, Gizelle took Calithia's arm. Calithia rested her head on Gizelle's shoulder.

Calithia looked up into Gizell's face, gray eyes a bit moist. "You really won't get rid of it for me?" said the girl. A thousand thoughts rushed through Gizelle's mind.

"Not this one, dear." Calithia looked down, and Gizelle continued. "Karina may be spiteful, naive, and pathetic, but she's right. You are old enough to learn some responsibility."

"But you could have warned me first," whined the girl.

"Would you have been more careful? More prudent?" 

"I---"

Gizelle stopped and faced Calithia, grasped her shoulders. "It will be well. With or without the robes, it is either your baby or Janica's, I am not sure which. One of these sons will be the one Tavaris wants."

"Wants?" said Calithia. "Wants for what?"

"He will help to bring Tavaris's peace to Galia."