☆Seven☆

Evie-

I stared at him angrily as he spoke those words, jerking my hands out of his grasp.

"Why would you say that?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Because it's the truth."

Did he think this was some sort of joke?

"That's impossible," I said shaking my head. "I've met vampires before."

"You've met vampires?" he challenged, the disbelief evident in his voice.

"Yeah. Lots," I said folding my arms across my chest. "And that's how I know you're lying."

He continued to stare at me, blinking a few times in amazement. Why would he tell me this? Why would he lie? Was he trying to get rid if me? Scare me off?

"Well I don't know what kind of vampires you've met in the past, but I can assure you, I'm one," he insisted, when he finally spoke again. "My whole family is," he informed me.

"Look, if you don't want to tell me the truth, I get it-"

"Evie." He spoke my name with such seriousness. "I'm telling you the truth."

"We survive on animal blood, that's why our eyes are amber. And we've all died in the past, that's why our skin is pale and cold and hard as diamonds," he said. "My hearing, my speed- I know you've witnessed it," he insisted almost desperate to prove to me he was telling the truth. "Some vampire's have extra gifts-- like Alice, she can see the future. Edward can hear people's thoughts, and Jasper can sense and alter your mood. All vampires have super strength, but my gift, is being the strongest."

I sat there in silence as he explained everything to me- their gifts, his family, the Volturi. At first, I didn't want to believe it, but then I remembered Elijah's words-- you don't know what they're truly capable of. Maybe Emmett really was telling the truth.

"So there's going to be eighteen other vampires here tomorrow, just like you?"

"Vampires- yes. But they're not like me," he explained. "The vampires that have red eyes," he paused, "means that they feed on humans."

I gulped suddenly, growing a little nervous as he spoke. Sure, I had been around vampires for the past forty years, but something told me these vampires were a lot more like the Stefan Salvatore ripper kind, than the calm, cool and collected Elijah kind. I felt Emmett lift me onto his lap before placing his thumbs on the sides of my cheeks.

"You have absolutely nothing to worry about," he informed me as he looked me dead in the eyes. "I would never let anything happen to you."

For both our sakes, I hoped he was right.

***
A few hours, six hands, and a tequila bottle later, I found my self sitting on the couch in just my bra and panties. We we're playing a game of strip poker and unfortunately I was losing-- horribly.

"This isn't fair," I whined. "I swear you're cheating!"

"I'm almost a hundred years old," Emmett laughed. "I've picked up a thing or two over the years," he said. "Now strip."

Throwing my cards down, I shot him a dirty look before standing and turning my back towards him. Slowly I took off my bra, grinning over my shoulder as I looked back at him. He licked his lips in playful anticipation, but there was no way I was going to let him win that easily.

Picking up a throw blanket, I clutched it to my chest and sat back down.

"Ok, so who's deal? Mine or yours?" I asked as I shamelessly tried to distract him.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow at me.

"What do you mean?" I feigned innocence.

"I won. Fair and square," he reminded me. "It's my god given right to view those puppies," he growled lowly as he pointed at my chest.

"You know, I'm actually kind of hungry," I smirked trying to change the subject. "I don't think I feel like playing anymore," I said as I moved to get up off the couch.

"Nice try," he purred in my ear as he easily grabbed me and brought me down into his lap. As I came to rest against his naked torso, I lost the blanket in the process and was now fully exposed to him. Tossing his head back, he groaned in pleasure as his large hands cupped my breasts. He leaned forward, devouring one of my peaks in his mouth and I was pretty sure it was safe to say our game of poker was over.

***
"Wake up, Woman!" Emmett's voice playfully commanded, "It's Christmas."

I groaned and rolled over, burying my head back under the covers. Suddenly Emmett ripped them from me, exposing my naked body to the cold air as goose flesh crept up over my skin. I gave him a come hither glance, but Emmet just chuckled at my attempts to stay in bed.

"Uh-hu," he shook his head at me. "I'm not falling for that one again," he said. "Last time I did, we were here for six days," he reminded me. "Why don't you go take a hot shower and get ready," he suggested. "And then maybe we can head back to the main house?"

"Ok," I replied nodding my head-- of course he would want to spend Christmas with his family.

As I walked to the shower, I felt a sinking feeling, and for a minute, and only a minute, I actually missed all of mine. I kept replaying Elijah's confession over and over in my head. Was it possible Niklaus really did make a mistake that night?

Wrapping a towel around myself, I shook the thoughts from my mind and stepped out of the shower. I walked into my closet and began picking out clothes when I thought I heard someone enter my room. As I walked out, my breath caught in the back of my throat, and my eyes stared in disbelief.

"Happy Christmas, sweetheart," he smiled as he sat down on the edge of my bed. "Miss me?"

"Nic," I breathed. "Is it really you?" As I gazed into his handsome face, I realized just how much I had missed those mesmerizing blue eyes.

Standing up, he stalked towards me, the smile falling from his face. He wasn't as tall or as big as Emmett but something about him was immensely intimidating, especially as he stared down at me. Butterflies churned in my stomach as I gazed up at him, standing just inches away from me. I had to resist the urge to run my hands through his curly blonde hair or across his perfectly plump lips. And my God, how I had missed those dimples.

I held my breath as Klaus stretched out his hand, trying to caress my cheek. I nearly sighed at the thought of his warm, strong fingers against my skin, but his hand went right through me, as though he were a ghost.

He cursed Freya under his breath as he took a step back. "It's merely an illusion, an astral projection of myself, created by my sister Freya," he explained. "It just felt so real, seeing you again. I had forgotten that I wouldn't actually be able to touch you."

He seemed dissapointed as he turned around and sat back down on my bed.

"Now come. Sit, Love, and tell me all about your life," he said as he patted the spot on the bed next to himself.

For a moment, I actually found myself propelled forward, voluntarily-- but then I remembered this was Niklaus Mikealson, and nothing was ever as it seemed.

"What are you doing here, Klaus?" I asked, dropping all pleasantries and any feeling of love that had flooded back to me just moments ago. I frowned at him as I hugged the towel around me a little tighter. The last thing I needed was for that to fall off right now.

"I'm sorry," he frowned back, his tone rising as though he had been offended. "I wasn't aware that I needed a reason to see my very best girl."

"Cut the crap, Klaus," I warned. "You know damn well I'm not your girl anymore."

But before any of us could say anything more, we both heard the front door open and close.

"Evie?" Emmett called.

My heart pounded in my chest as his foot steps got closer to my bedroom.

At the sound of another man's voice, a wicked smile plastered itself across his face. Klaus regarded me with amusement- his eyes sparkling with a mischievous glint. Suddenly, I wondered what I'd gotten myself into...