Autumn Night

Just a random story I wrote when I was dying of boredom:) Enjoy! It's the adapted version of There Might Come a Day, if you haven't read it yet!:)

~~

Nights like these were Millie’s favourite.

We would stay up late into the wee hours of the night until everyone else fell asleep before sneaking out of the dormitory and into the garden at the back of the orphanage. Then, we would just lie on the grass for hours, never speaking or moving until day broke.

It was comforting sometimes when I just stared at the stars and realised exactly how huge the galaxy was. That if compared to the world, I was close to nothing so it didn’t really matter if I made a mistake.

But sometimes, it just depressed me when I realised that if one day I just disappeared from the face of the Earth, not many people would notice, much less care. Of course, at that time my naïve self thought that Millie would always be there for me, that she would help me through my entire life and never ever leave my side.

Not once did it actually cross my mind how fragile the world we lived in was.

How easily everything could change and lose the little we have.

My mother died in childbirth and my father, being unable to deal with the grief, abandoned me in an orphanage where I would supposedly be taken cared of.

Or at least, this is the explanation I made up for the sake of my sanity. The sad truth is that I was just left on the doorstep of the orphanage, a helpless infant, no more than a day old, without any explanation what so ever.

Life was miserable for the first few years of my life. The first few chapters of my childhood were spent friendless and depressed. Until the day when Millicent, a girl of the same age as I was, entered the orphanage and took the vacant bad next to my own.

She spent her days crying and when she wasn’t, she walked around in a trace, not really caring about the world around her. I too felt sorry for her because from the little research I had done, she had lost both parents in a plane crash and, having no relatives that were willing to take her in, she was sent here as well.

I must admit that sometimes, I envy her for even having parents to miss but then that soon changed after seeing her heart broken state. Being the coward I was, I kept my distance and tried to ignore her as much as possible.

Then, one day she pulled herself together. She went to sleep and woke up as a different person.

Just like that.

She tried to make friends with everyone and seemed happier than I had ever seen her.