XV

There had been a formal dinner scheduled between the first chair's family, and the second, and the hopeful patrons. Erik was none too pleased with this occurrence, but he did very much trust Arielette to do as she may and be solid in her decisions. But if that de Chagny boy ruined her reputation in the slightest, Erik would have terribly frank words with him.

He had no clue as to why all of the board members weren't invited and why the cut had been at second chair, but he did not question. Charles seemed to think the two families more than enough, but Erik refused to believe that he was not necessary to the dinner. He remained uninvited even after having this talk with Charles, however.

Another question was why every blasted family member must be in attendance yet he could not accompany his fiancée.

"Oh, how I wish I could go with you," Erik moaned at Arielette as she walked out in one of her finest dresses.

"I know, darling, and how I wish you were attending, yet fate is always so cruel it seems."

She walked over to the chair he was seated in and laughed as he embraced her waist, placing his unmasked face into her stomach.

"Do not go."

"I must."

Erik sighed, letting her go and placing a kiss to a hand he had snatched from her side.

"Well, then please do watch out for the Vicomte. I have had a lengthy conversation with Philippe over these past few months, and he cannot corral the monster. Just do be careful."

"I will," Arielette said sweetly, leaning down and placing a kiss on his lips.

It was sweet and warm, and Erik pulled her down to him, crumpling her dress most likely as she landed in his lap.

"You incorrigible man! I don't want to go, but it will look bad on father, Erik. I will be back later, I promise."

She placed a final kiss on Erik's cheek then simply got up and left, leaving him to his misery. He felt rather bereft of her presence, and wished slightly for a goodbye.

Not but a moment later, she came back through the door and smiled at him with her sultry grin.

"Sorry, I forgot to say goodbye."

"You did," he said, standing and letting her come to his arms, giving her an innocent kiss which turned to much more as she let her hands roam over his chest and back.

"Goodbye, Erik, I will see you later. I love you."

"I love you, Arielette. Goodbye."

He felt in much higher spirits now.

The evening was yet early, and Erik planned on composing to ease his anxieties about the supper happening above him. They were dining in the atrium of the opera house and the catering was going to be fantastic apparently, and Erik loathed the whole idea. His music was even showing it as the notes were loud and somber, each one more succinct than the next.

This was possibly why he didn't hear the rapping on the door until it was rather loud and rather aggressive. Erik knew it was not Arielette, for she had a key and would merely enter. So, he stood, knowing only a few people knew how to get below and into the bellows of the opera.

"Christine," he greeted the young woman at his door. She looked very distraught, as though the events of the current supper were upsetting her as well. Erik imagined they would, she clearly had a burning flame for the younger de Chagny, and the only thing that boy had his eyes on were his Arielette.

"Erik, I'm sorry to bother you, but I knew where Arielette was. And I needed a friend, I suppose."

"Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to offer you a little bit of friendship when it wouldn't hurt me to have it."