XII

Arielette beamed as she returned to the party, her eyes glowing, her face even more so. She looked younger than she had in years, and everyone seemed surprised to find her in such good spirits. Those around her assumed it was because one Erik Destler, who was quite well known in the theatre, was now happy. Their assumptions were ridiculously true, but not in the way they assumed.

It wasn't that it didn't break Erik's heart to leave his fiancee, Arielette was sure, but they were meant to be together. Her heart felt it as she returned and greeted her father.

His eyes narrowed upon her in suspicion, his not as vivacious as her own.

"You look too cheerful. Have you finally let young Erik go?"

She scoffed at 'young'.

"I don't wish to speak of it."

He huffed, not approving of whatever it was she was hiding, and gestured beyond their little bubble in the large surroundings.

"The young de Chagny is looking for you," he told her with a smile, "He's a suitable prospect."

Arielette cringed thinking but minutes ago she could have certainly accepted such prospects. The poor man was handsome, and she wouldn't have minded his company terribly if her and Erik's conversation hadn't gone so unexpectedly well. Alas, they were in a different situation now.

"He is too young for me. I should be a spinster now if it weren't for your money and my tragic tale," she jested, though surely she meant it.

"Don't let your mother hear of that. She'll have you married before the year is done. At least finish the night with him?"

Charles was pleading now, and Arielette could not say no as her father looked at his wife in adoration. She couldn't hurt her mother's feelings.

She was also sure that Erik would have no qualms with a rushed engagement if Arielette truly felt like pleasing them both.

"Fine, direct me towards him?"

"He's with his brother."

Arielette knew that was enough, luckily Raoul hadn't completely left from the party.

With a swift turn, her purple skirts followed and she headed towards the only red suit in the building.

She approached them, not a fearful bone to quiver, and smiled at Raoul. He was very handsome, in the blunt reality of the word, but she liked Erik's face... it kept the competition away, and jealousy was not fear. That awful trait she feared she possessed just a bit too much of.

"Arielette!" Raoul said fluidly, "You went around the back, and I thought you'd left, but you started to weave through the opera, and I lost you!"

That was the point.

"I'm sorry, I was just worried for his safety and needed to see him with no interference from anyone," she said. The look cast over to Philippe was purely accidental.

Raoul hardly noticed as he grabbed her hands, his frequent touches and wants foreign to her. Erik had always been, and apparently was no longer, very meager in what he took from her. He hadn't ever had any liberties in what he did, for he had never been afforded them before. That was one of the things she loved about him, and their kids earlier was a heavy promise she looked forward to.

"You've come back, that's all I care for. Arielette, will you dance with me again?"

She feared that wasn't the real question he had wanted to ask her.

"If you wish."

Raoul nodded like a child being offered a sweet, and she was off again to dance with him.