Chapter 10: The Northern Air Temple

Start from the beginning

"Our gliders," Aang guessed.

"Yes, little light flying machines. They gave me an idea. Build a new life for my son, in the air! Then everyone would be on equal ground, so to speak! We're just in the process of improving upon what's already here and after all, isn't that what nature does?"

Aang continued to glare, "Nature knows where to stop."

The mechanist looked through the hole in the wall he just created, "I suppose that's true. Unfortunately, progress has a way of getting away from us."

He looked down in some sadness, then lifted his head back up to look at something, "Look at the time!"

While Sokka stayed with the mechanist to do whatever he was doing, Teo, Aang, Kaiden, and Katara continued on. They managed to find the only spot in the temple that Teo said was untouched. It was a huge door that only an airbender could open. Aang refused to open it, preferring that one part could remain that way. But then Kaiden noticed something.

"Um, guys?" he said, "Why do I smell smoke coming from in there?"

Aang looked a bit startled and decided to open it.

"I can't believe I'm finally going to see what's inside," Teo said.

They walked in and were horrified. It was filled with evil looking war machines and torture devices.

"Okay," Kaiden grimaced, "This is messed up."

"This is a nightmare..." Aang agreed.

"You don't understand."

They turned and saw the mechanist and Sokka, the latter glaring at the former.

Aang pointed at the mechanist angrily, "You're making weapons for the Fire Nation!!"

"Explain all this!" Teo yelled, furious, "Now!"

The mechanist looked down in shame, "It was about a year after we moved here. Fire Nation soldiers found our settlement. You were too young to remember this tale. They were going to destroy everything, burn it to the ground. I pleaded with them, I begged them to spare us. They asked what I had to offer. I offered... my services. You must understand, I did this for you!"

Teo just turned his head and wheelchair away.

"When do they get here?" Kaiden asked.

"Soon..." the mechanist looked at a candle clock, "Very soon..."

"You can't give them more weapons," Aang said.

"If I don't give them what they want they will destroy this place."

"How can I be proud of you when your inventions are being used for murder?" Teo exclaimed.

"I need some time to think."

After a pause, a little tinkling bell rang.

"You need to leave! Go!" the mechanist ordered.

"We're not leaving!" Teo insisted.

"Then hide, quickly!"

Kaiden then formed a plan in his head while they scurried off. He whispered it around the group, Sokka even pitching in his own idea. Everyone then got into position.
_________________________________
"You know better than to keep me waiting," the Fire Nation emissary said as he approached the mechanist, "Give me what you owe us so I can be on my way."

The mechanist looked down.

"Well? Is there a problem?"

The mechanist motioned out the door, "No, right this way."

Then the door was promptly shut by a blast of air from Aang, Kaiden standing next to him.

"The deal's off!" Aang declared.

"The Avatar!" the emissary exclaimed.

"Aang, Kaiden," the mechanist begged, "Don't get involved!"

The emissary pointed at the mechanist, "If I don't get what I came for, the Fire Nation will burn this place into rubble!"

"Yeah, well," Kaiden retorted, "I'd like to see you try."

The emissary pointed at them, "Then the destruction of this temple will be on your heads."

After the emissary escaped, Kaiden hatched his plan. While the Fire Nation had more fire power (A/N: Ba dum clash), they had air control. After fitting up the new war balloon Sokka and the mechanist made, everyone got ready for attack.

"You sure this'll work?" Katara asked the Image.

Kaiden just looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

Katara rolled her eyes, "Right. Of course it'll work."

Her friend smirked and looked forward, "Here they come!"

And the battle began. The gliders, Kaiden, and Aang then took off into the air and began dive bombing random soldiers that were trying to climb up. When they ran out of bombs, the gliders then flew back to Katara, who was on Appa, and restocked. However, the battle then got heated when the army began using new weapons. Unfortunately for them, they were taken out as quickly as they were introduced. All of these new weapons involved metal. You see where this is going.

The ones that Kaiden didn't get were taken out by Katara, who used the water within the tanks to freeze them. When they ran out of bombs, Sokka and the mechanist flew in on the war balloon and dropped more. Unfortunately, when they ran out, they had to sacrifice the balloon to drive away the soldiers. Nonetheless, it was a victory. After the battle was over and done with, the group met back up at the temple.

"You know what?" Aang said, "I'm really glad you guys all live here now. It's like the hermit crab... maybe you weren't born here, but you found this empty shell and made it your home. And now you protect each other.

"That means a lot coming from you," Teo smiled.

"Kaiden, you were right about air power," Sokka said, pointing to the sky, "As long as we've got the skies we'll have the Fire Nation on the run!"
_________________________________
And that plot point didn't come back until Book 3! Till next time guys!