Prologue Part 2: The Metalbender

My name is Kaiden. I am 16 years old and was born and raised in the Southern Water Tribe. When I was 6, my parents were murdered at the hands of a man from the Fire Nation, whose group raided our town and killed my parents, as well as Katara and Sokka's mother. Which brings me to them.

Katara and Sokka are my best friends. We've know each other ever since we could move around. Sokka is a year younger than me, while Katara is two years younger. Sokka grew up wanting to be a warrior, making his own guard tower and mastering his main weapon, a boomerang, to prove it.

Katara was a bit of a fighter too, but she was different from her brother, heck, from the rest of the small tribe even. She was born a waterbender, able to manipulate water, of course. She hasn't gotten it down yet, due to there being no waterbenders in the tribe to help teach her. Then there's me.

I discovered my ability when I was just three and a half years old. I was left alone in my family's hut for a few minutes and when my mother came back in, she saw me moving my hand about as a metal shield floated in front of me, following my every hand movement. Later that day, my parents told me to never tell anyone about this special ability. Not even Katara and Sokka. Looking back on it, I have a feeling that wasn't all of the story, but it hardly mattered.

Unknown to anybody in the tribe, I was a metalbender. I later learned that no one in the world has ever had this ability. I kept my secret, even though I didn't know the reason to.

Years later, when I just turned 16, I joined the army. Under the leadership of Katara and Sokka's father, we sailed towards the Earth Kingdom, waving goodbye to Katara and Sokka. After a battle a few months later, I was separated from my group, so I went on the run. And one day, I got a little careless.

I was just sitting in an opening, messing with a ball of scrap metal, changing its shape for my amusement. Then some nearby Fire Nation soldiers spotted me. Luckily for me, they mistook my ability for earthbending. Unfortunately for me, that was apparently a bad thing for them. They took me away and locked me in a prison boat.

Normally, I would've just escaped the giant metal boat without a second thought. But... due to my good hearted nature, I couldn't just leave the other prisoners there. They were all innocent earthbenders who just got unlucky and forced into prison. I've been trying to come up with a full scale prison break, but there were quite a few problems.

It wasn't my promise to keep my ability a secret. I had long since decided that this was war. No more secrets. No, it was a problem of what to do. If I tried a sneaky escape, we would have nowhere to go. It was a boat in the middle of who knows what ocean. I thought about a full scale riot and take over the boat, but I realized we would suffer too many casualties to call it successful. All these guys couldn't bend anything. I was the only prisoner with the ability to make a huge difference. If they managed to take me out, there was no hope.

So now, I have no choice but to wait and plan. We heard rumors saying the Avatar had returned, but I didn't get my hopes up. This was my fight right now. Plus, why would the Avatar waste his time on this boat in the middle of nowhere ocean?

Then, there was that fateful day.
_______________________________
And that ends the prologues. Hope you enjoyed those. Till next time guys!