"I'm sorry, but the few blankets that didn't wash away are in use," he said. "My coat was the last thing left."

"But is everyone else okay? You all look like..." You didn't finish. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"You gonna be tellin' Anika what happened, Cap'n?" Knoll snapped.

"Use that tone with me again and it'll be the last time you speak," the Captain hissed, not even looking a him. But it had no force behind it, as if he was just saying it...but it didn't mean anything.

Knoll rolled his eyes. "Harrr! In all three years I be knowin' you, minus him, you were never thrownin' a single dog off this ship."

"I said belay that gruff, Knoll. Shut it."

"First you be tellin' her what happened."

The Captain didn't reply to that. He looked to the ground. "Anika..." he said slowly, at first not meeting your eyes. "Blagden's gone. We can't find him. He was washed overboard."

Your throat went dry. "No...that can't be."

You'd never dealt with death before

You'd never dealt with death before. You hadn't exactly been personal friends with him, but the thought that you'd just seen him so recently, like you wish you could go back to that spot, pull him out from time, and bring him back. "Captain, take it back. Tell me that's not true."

He couldn't meet your eyes.

"Captain!" you cried.

"You won't be gittin' much outta him," Knoll shrugged. "No one ever do."

"I said shut it," the Captain snarled, still staring at the deck.

"So secretive. He don't be needin slaves 'cause his entire crew already be one, and they be kept in line with hollow threats."

"Shut up Knoll!"

"So how do I go askin' how you and miss Anika be getting along? Remember that morning after we all bin drunk? You two'd got a little fun in the Cap'n's quarters while we bin finishin' yee grog?"

"I went to sleep early and alone! One more word, and I will cut out that mouthy tongue of yours!"

"You be gettin' anyone to vouch for that?" Knoll riled. "Besides yer saucy cabin wench, I mean."

"I mean it, Knoll! Another word and you're dead!"

"I supposed yee'll just have to be killin' me then, Cap'n."

The Captain spun around, marched up to him, and smacked him forcefully across the face without a moment's hesitation.

And punched him in the jaw. Knoll staggered back.

The Captain grabbed his shoulder to reel him back and kneed him in the stomach, too.

Knoll, stunned the Captain even reacted, was frozen, rubbing his jaw, his eyes wide.