Chapter 4 Tonight's the Night

After having a long talk with my Pa about how he should start trying to change his life around and going out into the real world again, I left. I think I've finally gotten to him. My true father. My Pa. I do believe he's gonna actually try. Try to have an adventure.
About 15 minutes passed and I finally caught up with Lorie, looking all gussied up and beautiful as Doris Day. As soon as I saw the look Lorie was giving me, I knew what her problem was.
"Uhm no ma'am. Ain't gonna happen! You ain't goin to a college shindig man party lookin like that!" Lorie pointed to my outfit, which was an old, red wool sweater, some high waisted pants that were a bit too big for me, and gold buckle shoes with a missing buckle. Yeah, I guess you could say I looked like trailer park trash.
Lorie continued to talk before I could defend my choice of clothing, saying " Look hun, I know you don't have a momma or fashion sense, but you can NOT go into the party wearing that! You ain't gonna get no man there wanting to lay on top of you that way."
As I look at Lorie with hurt-filled eyes, my mind starts to realize that she was right. Sadly, the truth hurts. "Well, what else am I supposed to wear?" I say to Lorie, giving me a smug smile. Just as I ask why she was lookin at me that way, she pulled out her beautiful, daisy sundress from her white over the shoulder tote bag. It was breath takin.
"I brought this for tomorrow in case I stay over at the party and I have a morning outfit, but I guess I can give up my routine for your sake.. best friend." Lorie shined the brightest smile ever. I smiled back in return. We stop at a mini mart down the road to the party to use the restroom. Well, use the restroom for getting ready that is.
I grabbed the sundress that looked identical to the dress that Lorie was wearing, other than the daisy pattern, and slid it on real quick. Good fit. Nice and firm. I look at myself in the mirror beside me and check out my curves. Wow, I actually have curves. I russle my hair around as I usually do, as Lorie does her makeup and powders her nose. "You want some?" she asks, motioning towards her makeup pouch. I kindly accept, grabbing a bright, red lipstick and some powder.
Lorie looked at me with wide eyes, staring at me in awe as I attempted at doing my makeup. "Glenda, I honestly have never noticed how pretty you really are. C'mon. Lemme do your makeup. Imma make you go from Glenda Buckley to Ann-Margret in a matter of minutes." Lorie chuckled as she did my makeup, makin me look like a different person each second. I loved it though.
As we finished getting gussied up, we were back on our trail to the shindig about two minutes away. Then, there we were. As we walked up the path to the doorway of the house, Lorie and I were both greeted by two familiar looking faces. Two familiar, drunk looking faces. We finally got their names this time. James and his brother, Dean. You wouldn't believe it. I didn't at first. But not less than three minutes go by and Lorie had already disappeared in the crowd with that James guy. And here I was, left here with Dean.
He complimented me non-stop since I got there and honestly that's all I've ever wanted in a guy. To make me feel like a woman. Make me feel pretty. But I didn't like Dean that way. No way. I don't know if the turn off is I feel nothing when I'm with him, or the strong smell of alcohol comin from his breath every time he got close to me.
So I promised to myself that I was gonna make this guy swoon for me. I was gonna make him fall in love with me, then dump him like a pile of trash. I wanted to be a heartbreaker just once. I said to myself once more, tonight's the night I grab a man's full on attention. Not knowing that later on, I would be regrettin it all. Wantin to take it all back.