Chapter 2 The Beginning

Author's POV
August 23rd, 1969
It was a sunny day when Glenda and her best friend Lorie were walking home from school in their poodle skirts. Glenda was only allowed to wear her poodle skirt if she wore long pants under it. Her friend Lorie did NOT have to.
          Glenda's father was very strict and overprotective of his 13 year old daughter. She had to wear certain clothing. She had to listen to certain music. She had to act a certain way around certain people. Boys her age. Glenda hated the way her life was. When Glenda was only 2 years old, her mother died from a drug overdose at her aunt's coke house. Her father has been a mess ever since. A drunk, depressed mess. Glenda would describe her father's appearance as an Elvis/James Deen on crack. Glenda loved him, but she hated the person he was.
          As Glenda and Lorie were walking home, a couple of guys in a rusty pick up truck drove past them slowly, honking their horn and whistling at them. One of the guys shouted, "Hey perty ladies! What are a couple of sweeties like you doing on the side of the road? Don't you have jobs to be at? Maybe a campus to be partying at?"
          The guys were obviously trying to guess the girls' ages. Just as Glenda said, "Uhm actually we're only"- Lorie interrupted her and said, "We're only.. a few miles away from our campus..big boy." Lorie flashed the guy that was driving a beautiful smile and a wink that drove him crazy.

Glenda's POV
          How does she do that? Just put herself out like that? Ugh, I wish I could do that. But if I even tried to wink and be seductive, I'd look like I'm having a seizure. I am so jealous of Lorie. She looks like a young Doris Day. And I look like a groomed, raggedy-anne doll.
          Lorie started dragging me over to the truck and said, "Glenda, these are COLLEGE guys! Don't mess this up! The other guy said he thinks you're so cute. So don't blow this!" she whispered. The truck was pulled over and parked to the side. One of the guys stepped out of the truck and walked up to me. He took his hat off and said with a little grin, "Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes?"
          I blushed and said thank you for the compliment, trying to play it cool. "So, since my friend is busy over there getting..well busy.." I look over and see that Lorie was ALREADY making out with the guy against his truck. God, I wish I could be like her. The guy continued and said, "there's this party, shindig kinda thing going on at my place tomorrow night. It'll be fun. I promise. My friend was gonna invite you guys to it before he got..tangled in your friend's mouth. Wanna come?" I laughed and the guy handed me a flyer with all the information on it.
          I looked over at Lorie. She came up right behind me and said, "Of course we'll be there! We wouldn't miss it for anything." The guys looked ecstatic and started getting back in the truck, with the one guy shouting to Lorie, "Hey, I hope I get more of that good stuff I got today!" Lorie said, "You might get even more if you play your cards right, cowboy." She winked at him and the guys drove off.
          Lorie jumped up and down, grabbing me and shaking me, very excited. "Oh my lordy, do you know what this means Glenda?? We are in! We are officially popular with the older guys!" I didn't understand why Lorie was so excited. All I know is that she is gonna bug me day in and day out until I go to this party.
          I also know that I had to get home soon before Pa starts asking questions. "Bye, Glenda! I'll call you tonight and we'll discuss the PARTY! Yay!" Lorie shouted. I said bye to Lorie. And hello to Pa drinking and listening to Elvis the entire night.