14. Grievers and Goodbyes

"Hey! Wake up shuckhead!", Newt was rattled awake by an excited Minho who was already dressed and ready to run. Newt groaned and rolled over in his hammock, his face now facing (What used to be) Y/N's hammock. Yes, over the past year that hammock had never been used. Newt was against anyone ever using it and all the Gladers agreed. Even if seeing that hammock with no one occupying it everyday hurt them, it reminded them that a very special person was once there. Newt just stared at it, starting to feel sad that Y/N wasn't there with them, with him anymore... Newt suddenly shot out of his hammock, realising what was happening today. 'Y/N! I'm going to see her again!', he thought, getting into his shoes. Although they weren't running shoes, like he used to have, they would have to do. But before he could tie up the laces, Minho stopped him by tapping his shoulders.
"If you're going to be running in the shuckin' Maze, you're gonna need these, shank", Minho then handed the blonde a pair of joggers, and not just any joggers.
"Just like old times, aye?", Newt smiled up at the bulky asian as Minho nodded and smiled in reply. The blonde took off his casual shoes and slipped his old joggers onto his feet. They fit him perfectly! As if he had never taken them off. After tying the laces up, Newt and Minho jogged over to the Kitchen to grab a quick breakie from Frypan, and then follow the two girls to their Maze.

"Morning, ladies", Minho greeted smoothly, sitting beside Harriet, who did not look at all impressed. Sonya just said a quick greeting and giggled, seeing her friend's discomfort.
"Ah... Morning, stickbrain", Harriet replied uncomfortably, shuffling away a little and going back to her eggs. Minho just shrugged off the insult and dove right into his food. Newt sat quietly, but anxious, as he tapped his foot rapidly under the table. Sonya saw his twitchiness and decided to calm him.
"So...tell me about Y/N", Newt was brought out of his quiet zone when Sonya spoke up. It took him a while to reply, but in the end he just said, "She was, well is, a good friend of mine". Sonya nodded, begging him to continue. When the H/C haired girl awoke, they never really got to know her before her falling unconscious. So Sonya was pretty curious as to who this girl was and why she was so important that the blonde in front of her had cried!

Newt started up again, "Y/N was friends with everyone. She was fun, smart, fast, sassy and a million other things. Y/N was hard working and she never gave up on us all, not once. She then became one of my best friends, we spent our spare time together just talking about random things. I always enjoyed seeing her smile when I said something weird, it always brightened my day. She was very beautiful...the prettiest thing I believe I have ever encountered, both inside and out. I started to love her...". With every sentence, every word, Newt's emotions were shown through his face and words. Sonya smiled brightly, realising the connection the two had was unique. It seemed that Y/N also felt the same, for she continuously asked where a person called 'Newt' was.
"She seems amazing", the pale, red-head sighed, her chin resting in her palm.
"She was... Well, if what you said was true, then I guess she still is!", Newt replied happily, realising that he could see her soon. See her smile, her eyes, her...it all seemed to real to him, like some dream come true. 'But it is real', the brown eyed boy thought happily, 'And I'm going to get her back'.

Straight after breakfast, Newt, Minho, Thomas and the two girls went out into the Maze, letting the two leaders of Maze B lead them to this tunnel, to their Maze, to Y/N. After, at least, two hours of running and going down wrong corridors and turning around and messing up their route, the group of 5 found it. The area seemed unfamiliar to the boys, none of them ever visiting this part of the Maze before. It was just a tiny corridor that didn't lead anywhere but a dead end. But Newt realised that thie new corridor was just around the corner from where Newt and Minho had found Y/N's blood and apart of her clothing. The tall blonde had automatically assumed that she had died there, had been eaten by the monsters of the Maze. But she obviously only caught her self on the vines, already bleeding, before turning down the corridor they were now in, and finding this supposed tunnel.