Chapter 63

A few days later

"Could you bring her to her house? I need to go meet with some dudes and don't want her wandering all alone at midnight. ", Luke asks me and I glance at Laura and nod.

"Of course, buddy. ", I say and take the last sip of my beer before throwing it into a trashcan.

"Oh, come on, Luke. ", the brunette protests. "I could have asked Benjamin to take me back. He's waiting for our sleepover anyway. "

"Benjamin? ", I question. Who the fuck is that now?

They both ignore me and my best friend leans down to give his girlfriend a quick peck on the lips before gripping her waist. When will I get a girlfriend? Who would want a guy like me anyway? What kind of sick chick would that be? I laugh at the thought as I watch them exchange their affection.

"There is nothing wrong with Ross. I swear. Even though he doesn't seem like that. ", Luke reassures her with a smile and I roll my eyes, heading outside to wait for the girl.

"Wait for me. ", Laura shouts as she follows me through the driveway.

I stay silent with my hands in my pockets, just enjoying the summer breeze of California. It is really warm and a bit of gentle wind doesn't hurt.

"Where is our ride? ", she questions as we pass all the cars, clearly confused. I sigh as I lead her to my dad's old crap of a bike and point my finger at it.

"Here. "

Laura's eyebrows raise. "What? I thought you had a car. "

"Well, you thought wrong. ", I say and sit on the seat.

"Where did Luke find you? ", she laughs and I shake my head.

"We are neighbors. Look, I'd have a damn car if I could afford it. Okay? I'm not your Luke and tonight, you're driving on my shitty bike instead of his limo, princess. ", words harshly leave my mouth and Laura raises her hands up in surrender.

"Relax, dude. I was just curious. Where would I even sit? ", there's no seat behind mines and I smile and tap the handlebar. Her eyes widen.

"What? I'll die on that thing! "

"Just get on and lean your back against me. You can't fall that way. ", I demand with different thoughts occupying my mind.. Her in front of me. Hm.

"You are such a dirty son of a.. "

"Oh, no, no, no. Kids shouldn't use bad words. What would your mommy say? ", I mock her in none other way than joking but Laura frowns and turns away from me. Pain slices through my chest when she wipes her eyes quickly.

"I don't have a mom. "

Yep. I'm an idiot.

"Oh. I'm really sorry. I'm a dickhead. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to make a joke. ", a stupid fucking one. What is wrong with me?

"Nah. It's alright. I'm over it. ", she says but her eyes tell me different when they meet mines.

"What happened? ", now I'm being nosy too? I really need to get a doctor.

She shakes her head and laughs, climbing at the handlebar finally. I tighten my grip on it and her body stays rigid in front of mines.

"I actually have no idea. She's still alive but my dad never told me where she headed or what happened. ", Laura sniffs and I feel the slight brush of her hand over mines. I nod at her explanation and begin to ride slowly.

"I'm sure she's a great person. She'll come around. ", I lean in to whisper into her ear from behind and she laughs.

"Enough with the pathetics. I think this crap will break until we get to my house. ", her statement immediately pulls a smile to my lips.