CHAPTER 12

Chapter Twelve

"Kim?" I open my eyes blearily, the room slowly adjusting and see Cheryl's slightly blurry face hovering over mine.

"Your phone is ringing." She whispers. Her face comes into focus and I sit up slowly. She holds my phone out to me, which is vibrating in her hand. I take it cautiously, looking at the caller ID.

"Oh..." It's private, which means it must be Cindy or Robert. I wince and look up at Cheryl and she nods once, taking my hand.

"Answer it." I take a deep breath, my heart racing and I flip the phone open, pressing the little green button.

"Hello?"

"Kimberley? It's me, Cindy..." I let out a sigh of relief. I'm not exactly happy she's calling, but I'd rather her than Robert. 

"What is it?" I say stiffly. She sighs, and it sounds like she's whispering, fighting to get the words out as quickly as she can.

"Robert's refusing to do anything to help you stay with your friend. He said you better come home right now or he'll find you and drag you back home by your hair." I grip Cheryl's hand tightly, despair rolling through me and Cheryl looks at me in fear.

"What's happening?" She whispers. I can feel my stomach dropping, can feel everything falling around me.

"I don't want to." I whisper, blinking back the tears in my eyes. I don't want to go back there. I want to stay with Cheryl right here...

"He's threatening to call the police, Kimberley! Threatening to say that your friend kidnapped you!" 

I drop the phone, my chest constricting.  I don't want to hear anymore. I knew this would happen. I had a nightmare last night, it was a warning. A warning that everything was gonna come crashing down and I didn't listen. 

He's ruining my life. Because he can. Because he owns me. And he does. Because I'd rather take a million beatings than let Cheryl be thrown in jail.

"Kimberley?" The tears fall before I can stop them and I look up at her. I don't want to leave her...god, I want to stay so bad...

Cheryl takes the phone, her grip on my hand loosening.

"Hello? Who is this?" She's silent for awhile, her eyes growing wide. And then a tear falls down her cheek and she glares down at the phone.

"He can call the entire nation's squad for all I care, he's not getting her back!" She shuts the phone, breathing in deeply and choking on a sob. I stare at her, anguish and despair taking over me completely. 

I have to go back. I'm not going to let him ruin her life like he's ruined mine.

"Cheryl..."

"No." She grips my hand tightly again, closing her eyes.

"I knew this was going to happen..." I whisper. Her eyes snap open and she looks at me.

"No." She leans forward and grips my face in her hands, shaking her head.

"We're gonna find a way to solve this, don't worry."

"There's no other way..." I say, gripping her wrists and pulling her hands away from my face. I won't let her keep me. I have to keep her safe. And the only way to keep her safe is to stay far away from her.

"Kim-"

"I don't want you to get hurt, Cheryl...please..." She's crying, her bottom lip trembling and she shakes her head fiercely.

"You c-can't, please?! Please, Kimberley? I don't care if I g-get in trouble, I d-don't care! You c-can't go back there he's gonna h-hurt you and I can't let that h-happen, I w-won't-"