Chapter Five || Talking Is Hard

Chapter Five - Talking Is Hard

A L E X A N D E R

Today was the day.

Henry was driving me to the air port so we could pick up my dad, I don't understand why he couldn't just let him drive there like I did but I guess he wants to greet his best friend at the airport.

We were standing in the waiting area when I saw him. He smiled at me and hugged me before giving Henry a bear hug, "It's been a while." My dad laughed.

I was so taken back by his suddenly calm and happy demeanor. It was like the second he got out of that crowded city of Los Angeles he calmed down. I guess I understood but I wasn't used to seeing him this relaxed.

As we drove home Henry and my dad held a long conversation, catching up on all those years they couldn't get together.

Finally we got back to the house and I wanted to disappear into my little house but Henry insisted that I come inside and hang out, I was finally getting a day off on the one day I wanted nothing more but go deep into the pasture and hide.

When we were all in the living room, well all of us except Lee and his siblings, my dad finally spoke to me, "How have you been? Have you been acting respectful."

"I've been better but it's not that bad." I answered simply.

"Alex has improved a lot from when he first got here." Aspen complimented and winked at me causing me to smile.

"That's good, I'm glad." He smiled at me and then jumped into a conversation with Henry and Aspen making them laugh every five minutes. I rolled my eyes and got up to leave when Lee bumped into me.

"Just the person I was looking for," He smiled, "Come on, follow me."

I followed him outside and to the stables, "I can tell you don't want to be in there, I don't know why but I can see it in your face. So how about you go with us to the lake, cool off for a bit."

All of his siblings were getting their horses ready, Lee already had Blaze ready to go. Jeff and Jack were riding together on Hershey, they seemed to do everything together, Amber was riding Sly, their all black horse and finally Autumn and Lily were riding Faith their all white mare that still scares me.

"Do you want to ride with me or Amber?" Lee asked.

"Um, you." I said and I saw a shadow of a smile on his lips which caused me to smile.

He helped me on the horse and then climbed on, "You guys ready?" Lee asked.

They all nodded and Lee lightly kicked Blaze on the side to get him to move.

I did my best trying to hold on to the saddle but when they speed up I got scared and wrapped my arms around his waist. He chuckled lightly but didn't say any thing.

When we got to the lake everyone climbed off their horses and tied them up. We walked to the water and stripped down to our bathing suits and dove in.

I was so happy that I was here and not back at the house with my dad, it's just to awkward and it's hard to be around someone you feel you don't know anymore.

We both have open wounds from my moms death and I don't know if we will ever be able to heal.

Lee snapped me out of my thoughts, "Hey, you okay?"

"What? Yeah, I'm fine."

He just gave me a look before continuing, "Do you want to play?"

"What?" I asked genuinely confused.