Part 4

Andrea; 

Just a birthday kiss.

It was just a birthday kiss. 

Not having seen Leo in about two days, I guess you can say I'm nervous to see him.

He kissed me last Friday, and it's now Monday. He hasn't called, or visited me since then, but I guess I understand.

For the past 12 years, we've only just been friends, and that's how we planned to keep it. But his sudden motive to kiss me set me off strack, and had me wondering if something would ever happen.

But, then again, I'm dating Jake.

I haven't seen him this morning, not in the hallways, or outside on the lawn.

I arrived at school a little bit too early, so here I am. Sitting on the green lawn of my school, hopelessly dying for answers from my best friend.

In about 5 minutes, I see him walking up the stairs. 

I stand up slowly and approach him.

"Hey Leo. I've been wanting to talk to you..."

"Yeah I wanted to talk too. Look, about the kiss. It was just a birthday kiss, you know? It didn't mean anything, right?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure."

"Okay... We good? You understand right? I mean, we can't be a thing, you have Jake, and you're like my sister, and that would be weird, right?"

"Sure, Leo. Sure."

He gives me a weak smile and nods his head.

---

Things today have been kind of awkward, but I'm hoping it will wear off.

After school finished, Leo and I headed to the ice cream shop, due to the freakish heat of the sun on this May day. 

Jake and I haven't talked much, since he basically forgot my birthday. It's been awhile since we first started dating, and I thought he might remember.

I thought wrong.

We sit down at our regular table and order our ice cream.

"So... What's up with you?" I start.

"Nothing much, just um eating ice cream with my favorite girl. What's up with you?" 

"You know... The usual."

"An, why are things awkward between us? This whole weekend, I stood at the bottom of your window, wondering if I was even allowed to climb up. I never wonder if I'm allowed! I just climb up, not caring if you're busy or anything. What is happening?"

"I'm not really sure. Maybe.. Maybe it's just uh.. You know a sign, telling us that we shouldn't um date or something..."

"I'm thinking the opposite of that, An."

"Leo..."

"I know, I know. We can't possibly work, it's that I just feel like it's right."

He looks me in the eyes.

"I'm not an idiot. I know how the world works. I've got ten bucks in my pocket, I've got nothing to offer you." 

(*quote from Titanic :)*)

"But, Andrea. I've been in love with you, literally since we were five."

"But, Leo..."

"I know what you're going to say. I know you don't want our friendship to be ruined. But at least give me one chance, please."

"Leo. I'm with Jake, I can't just break up with him like that."

"Yes you can, it's that easy. Please, just let us try it out. Wouldn't you like to see what would happen?"

I can't help but nod, but what the hell did we just get ourselves into?