I turned and ran. He didn't stop me.

I didn't know I was crying until my glasses fogged up. I tripped and fell on the ground, grazing my knees and hands. But I got up and continued to run blindly. For some reason, my mind kept pulling up the memory of him singing Perfect.

After sometime, I slowed down and started taking deep, gasping breaths since I was out of shape.

The bell above the door tinkled as I pushed it open. My feet had led me to the record store.

"Lexa?" Caleb looked at me, smiling. Then when he came closer, his features creased with worry.

I must have looked like a mess. Usually when I cried, my eyes became puffy and red. I'm sure the scratches on my hands were bleeding as well.

"Are you alright?" The alarm was clear in his voice.

"I don't want to think." I told him. "Make me forget."

He didn't ask any questions, just pulled me near the counter and put a pair of headphones on my head.

"This is the playlist I listen to when I don't want to think."

I slumped down, my back against the wall. He joined me, and started playing the music.

We sat with our shoulders touching, but not saying a single word. Once, a song's lyrics reminded me of Nathan, but just as I winced, he changed the song. I lost track of time, but I started to feel a little better.

When the music stopped, we sat in silence, until I thanked him for helping me, and he replied by saying that I didn't need to thank him.

"Can I ask you something?" He was looking at his feet.

"What?" I crossed my fingers, hoping he wouldn't ask me about what had happened to me.

"Would you like to watch a movie with me this Saturday?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?" I was taken aback.

"Yes. I would understand if you don't want to come, though." He sounded like he was expecting to be turned down.

"I'd love to come with you." I found myself saying.

He shot me a wide smile, then stood on his feet. He held out a hand, which I gripped and used to pull myself up. Then I looked at my phone. I had five missed calls from Jake.

"Damn, I have to run." I said out loud.

"I could give you a ride."

I readily accepted his offer and reached home in five minutes. After waving goodbye to him, I ran inside.

"Where were you?" Jake hissed at me when I walked into the living room.

"At the record store. Are Mom and Dad here yet?"

"No, but they'll be here any second. Why didn't you pick up your phone?"

"I didn't hear it ring." I replied truthfully.

He didn't look pleased with the answer but before he could say anything, our parents pulled up in front of the house. I used the oppurtunity to run up the stairs and make myself look presentable.

The rest of the evening passed by smoothly. We had dinner and as usual, I pretended to listen. All I could think about was the expression on his face when I slapped him and about what an awful person I was.

I fell asleep as soon as I collapsed on my bed. I was happy to escape my thoughts.

*

I was woken up by someone talking loudly on the street. Annoyed, I stumbled to the window. To my surprise, I saw Nathan. He seemed to be talking to himself. Clearly, he was drunk.

"She hates me." His voice was bitter, and for some reason, he laughed. "She fucking hates me and I can't handle it."

It was obvious that he was talking about me.

"Nathan." I called out, unable to stop myself.

"Lex?" He was squinting in my direction. "I have to tell you something!"

"What?"

He cleared his throat, and started to sing. His voice was hoarse and he was tragically off-tune.

"Sometimes I wish I could save you... And there are so many things that I want you to know. I won't give up till it's over. If it takes you forever-"

He couldn't finish because I had picked up the nearest object, which was a cushion, and thrown it at his head.

"Nobody sings Simple Plan to me but Liam!" I yelled, afraid that he still wouldn't stop singing.

Unfortunately, I must've over-estimated his ability to maintain his balance, because he he fell over backwards and didn't get up.

-----

Ooh, a cliff-hanger. ;)

If you encourage me to put up the next chapter, and it'll be up faster.

You know what to do. ^_^