Chapter 11: "If You Love Something Set It Free."

Liam's P.O.V
I've tried to contact Ana several times after she finally discovered I was her mate. I know that it must hurt her to be away from me, but I have yet to hear from her, but I'm really not surprised. I've known Ana for the majority of her life. She has never been one to show her emotions. Even as a child, when Ana used to get bullied she never let them see her cry, although I know she has cried over the immature brats. That's one of the things I admire most about her. I wanted to ring their necks for making my girl shed a single tear over them.

I was all out of ideas to get Ana to talk to me. Everything I did only made it worse. I decided the only option was to take a drive to my parents house so I could get some advice from my dad. This is not something I would normally do. You can say my parents and I don't have the closest relationship ever. They never really took an interest in my life, but they are together which is more than I can say about Ana and I.

I park the the car and jog up the few steps to the house. It's been a while since I moved out and I can count on one hand how many times I've visited this place. I sighed as I unlocked the door and walked in.

The house looked the same as I remember it. Immaculately clean, expensive items never used but purchased just to say they have it. So quiet that you'd think no one's home, but I know better. I quickly climbed the two flights of stairs up to my dads study. I raped on the door twice before turning the knob.

I saw my dad sitting at his desk typing on his lap top. He looked up as I walked in and took off his glasses. My dad looks like me but 30 years older. Gray hair streaks the side of his head. Lines are etched in his forehead and in between his eyebrows, but not near his mouth. My dad rarely smiles unless he is "upholding appearances."

"Son, I wasn't expecting you." He furrows his brow causing the line to appear deeper.

"Yeah, I thought I would surprise you," I replied.

"Take a seat, what's going on."

"I've met my mate." Father made a face as if he was surprised. Of course he wouldn't know this. I've known who my mate was for a long time, my parents just never cared to ask.

"I'm glad to hear that son. Why don't you seem too happy about this?"

The next ten minutes was spend telling him the edited version of Ana and I's complicated relationship. ".... and now she wants nothing to do with me."

I thought my dad would judge me for loving someone so much younger then me, but his face only showed pity.

"If there is one thing I learned from being married to your mother for so long is that, women like making their own choices. Although, they also like when men take control sometimes. They are very complicated people. I have yet to figure them out completely, but it sounds to me as if she really needs her space. If she knows you're always going to be there chasing her she is never going to stop running. Have you even thought about living without her?"

I tried to deny what he was saying. I wanted to find a way to get her back, but I knew he was right. I never imagined life without her. I was upset that I allowed a girl to have this much control over me. I just didn't care enough to do anything about it.

"Son, I know this will be difficult for you because she is your mate. If she feels the same way she will not stay away for long. You remember the saying if you love something set it free if it comes back to you it's yours."

"If it doesn't it never was," I finish.

Later that night I was at home thinking about what dad had said. I knew deep down that it was the right thing to let her go, but I wasn't show if I was strong enough to actually go through with it. I needed her to much. Giving up on her would be like losing everything I've wanted for 9 years. It felt impossible.

A few minutes later I finally received an email from Ana. I had given up on a response from her. I shot up in bed, placed my laptop on my bedside table and opened the email up. I read Ana's words quietly to myself trying to process them. "Liam, it's been a long time since I last spoke to you. Not from lack of trying on your part, I might add," I laugh to myself without humor. I continue, "To you I must seem like a selfish bitch for ignoring you all this time and I just might be. I want you to know that I do miss you and it hurts to be away from you. I think about you all the time, but I can't seem to get over the resentment I felt toward you when you left me. Did I ever tell you why I used to call you Lam. Not because I couldn't pronounce your name as a kid. It was because you reminded me of a lamb. You're were my safety.When people would tease me and I felt alone, you helped me sleep at night. Then one day you were gone with out a trace. The next time you spoke to me was when I found out you're my mate. Imagine how that makes me feel. Have you even thought about what I'm going through or were so caught up in your own self pity to even think about it? That's why I think this will never work out between us. We should just go our separate ways, before when end up hurting each other more. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but this is for the best, Ana."

I close my eyes briefly and sigh. A mixture of guilt, anger, and reject threat to consume me. I know what I have to do. I will move on for Ana. I love her more than myself. I will always think about her first, but I will not let her off that easy. I won't let Ana end this before it even starts with out hearing my heart being ripped out my frickin chest.

I called Ana not really expecting an answer. I just wanted to prove that she was the one that pushed me away. On the sixth ring I was expecting to hear the machine voice mail. Instead, I heard her voice.

"Hello," she said hesitantly.

"So that's it, right. Your just going end it."

"Listen, Liam...."

"No you listen. It's not that simple. Maybe because of your age you think that this mate thing is a joke, but it's not. Don't you know that you could go insane, commit suicide, or lose your wolf."

For a long it was silent. I couldn't go on or I'd probably lose it. I was so mad. I could feel my hands balling to fists at my side. I couldn't believe how stupid she was being.

"Oh, so know you have nothing to say."

"Liam this all too much to handle. I don't think I can be the mate you need. You're a really good guy, but I'm just not ready."

"Save it. I don't need the 'it's not you its me speech.' I'm not that desperate. If you don't want to be with me I could deal with that, but I'm not going to let you hurt yourself."

"So you want to be.... friends or something? I guess we can do that."