Chapter 1: Trip to La Sirena Cove

Olympia -------------------------------->

My life ended the day I fell into the lagoon. I didn't die- but I wish I would have.

........

The ocean water sparkled under the blazing sun, as little fish swam merrily with their friends. I watched from the safety of the boat as the multi-colored fish interacted with their underwater community. Quickly, I grabbed my phone and snapped pictures of the flamboyant coral reefs that were sprawled across the ocean floor. Around me, my classmates chatted excitedly about our field trip to La Sirena Cove. We were all glad to escape the confinements of the school building.

My biology teacher, Ms. Pearl, took her students to the cove every year. She said it was one of the best locations to study marine life. I was more than happy to study the fish, however the other students were hoping to see mermaids. When we were kids, members of the A.B.F.A, Atlantic Bay Fisher Association, told us that they had seen mermaids lurking around the cove. It was only a myth, but sometimes it's nice to pretend that fantasies could be a reality.

Beside me, my best friend Joey, had submerged both of his hands under the water. A blissful smile came across his boyish face as he felt the cool water against his hot skin. I was happy to see Joey smile; it was an uncommon thing for him to do lately. He had recently become ill; he refused to eat anything and always claimed to be cold. In recent days I started to question if he was physically ill or mentally ill. He changed. Every time we planned to hang out he would magically become sick. During a hundred degree weather he would wear a long sleeve shirt and pants. As he continued to distance himself from me his condition only got worse.

"Joey Young get your hands out of the water!" Ms. Pearl reprimanded him.

Joey's smile slipped of his face as he reluctantly retracted his hands from the water. He wiped the remaining water from his hands onto his forehead and combed his finger through brown hair. Joey had always been scrawny until a few weeks ago. His scrawny post pubescent body became lean and sinewy. I wouldn't admit it out loud but my childhood best friend had became increasingly attractive.

"But Ms. Pearl I'm dying! It's too hot out," he whined and draped his arm over his head dramatically.

"That's your own fault. Nobody should wear pants and a long sleeve shirt during a heat wave," Ms. Pearl retorted with her arms crossed over her chest.

Ms. Pearl was an eccentric young woman, who had insatiable thirst for knowledge. She always had her strawberry blonde curls pinned on top of her head. She wore gaudy beaded jewelry and tied scarves around her waist as if she was a Spanish pirate. I had never seen her wearing anything but long dresses and gladiator sandals. When one student asked her why she wore the same pair of sandals she simply said, "They're perfect for walking on the beach. If I didn't have to sit inside and grade papers, that's what I'd be doing." Some people thought she was crazy, and maybe she was, but she was my favorite teacher by far.

Joey grumbled underneath his breath and pouted like a child. I smirked and leaned towards him, "I won't be sorry if you melt into a puddle of Joey-goo. Any sane person would be wearing trunks and flip flops."

He brushed off my comment and stared longingly off into the horizon. His eyes glazed over as little fish rose from the depths of the sea. I could see him struggle with himself as he wanted to reach out towards the fish. Unfortunately, Ms. Pearl still had him under her watchful eye. I slumped back against the white leather of the seat and twiddled my thumbs idly. What was wrong with him? I wondered.