Chapter 5

The Captain walked up to you and examined the deck you'd been washing all morning. A good bit of it had been done for you, but you still had no clue as to who or why.

"So you've been working all night?" he asked.

You didn't like lying, but right then you'd much less prefer to admit the truth and get someone (namely yourself) in trouble. "Yes sir, Captain."

He nodded slowly. "Well then," he said. "And you seemed to have refilled the bucket yourself last night?"

"Yes sir, Captain."

"By yourself?"

You swallowed. "Y-Yes sir, Captain." Can he tell I'm lying? Somehow he knows I am... 

"The soap and all?"

"The soap and all?"

You gulped. "Yes sir...Captain..." Trying to deflect him, you resumed scrubbing.

He stood there and watched you work for a little bit, wondering what to do with you, observing that you didn't look the least bit tired as you should be, and that some of the sailors sent you some concerned looks that you'd been forced to work in the cold by their usually-more-merciful Captain. Apparently you were the exception.

But then again, you were supposed to be his new toy.

He was testing you.

And you didn't change your pace of work just because he was there. You just kept working at your tired, halfhearted speed.

After a while, he said, "Alright. I'll need to call you something." He momentarily lowered his voice to note, "Because an announcement of your real name may not prove all that productive..." he continued at normal volume, "so I'll call you...Anika."

You stopped scrubbing and looked up at him with a loathsome look that said, I am not a pet, and you don't have the right to rename me.

"Don't give me that, the name fits you perfectly," he said flippantly, like you were being funny. You were his cute little entertainment. "I suppose you're hungry. We have a bit of food if you'd like some."

Well, at least there was an upside to a nickname. "Yes sir, Captain," finally your day was looking up. A little.

"You know, those are the only words I've ever heard you say. You may ask me questions if you would like. I'll always give you an answer."

You were allowed to ask him things? Like, anything? "Well..." you started. "What are you going to do with me?" I hope he's not mad...

"Ah, she speaks!" He chuckled. "And what I plan to do with you depends how you behave. If you're good, I'll let you go. If you're not, only time will tell."