Chapter 27 - "Maybe I Can Love After All."

Start from the beginning

"'Don't get used to it'," He mocks, making a face as he raises two hands in an air quote.

I ignore him and walk inside my walk inside my walk-in-closet, slamming the door behind me loudly, though we both know that I'm smiling.

❈ ❈ ❈

Ten minutes later, I come out, wearing a pair of light grey skinny jeans and a light blue blouse with white sleeves, and the only pair of white boots I own.

That is to say, I'm wearing light colors tonight.

Yup.

That's my attire for 'The' date.

Ezra is lying on my bed, looking at the ceiling as if it was holding the answers to all the cosmic riddles.

I go to the dresser and open the small drawer in the very bottom.

Inside, I find the small blue-velvet box and a few other things I haven't even touched in the past year. My fingers curl around the familiar texture of the box as I take it out, along with the tube of lip gloss, foundation, and eyeliner.

I apply a thin coat of foundation and then smear some lip gloss over my lips, feeling weird about applying something after leaving it free for so long. I shrug it off and wear some eyeliner on my top lid, feeling the liquid stiffen my skin as it dries.

Crap. How did I tolerate make-up before?

I shake my head and run the brush through my hair, letting the curls fall loosely, framing my face for once, instead of being pulled back high in a ponytail. I then pick up the box and snap the small lock in the front open, revealing the solitaire diamond pendant and the thin platinum chain.

I clasp it around my neck.

Okay, I guess. I'm kinda ready.

I take a once-over at the mirror and take in a shaky breath, feeling my stomach drop at the thought of the date.

'The' date.

I sigh shakily and turn around, only to find Ezra on his phone.

Again.

His fingers fly over the touch-sensitive screen as he texts someone hurriedly, and then he instantly locks his mobile, shoving it into his pocket as he looks up quickly.

He has an angelic look on his face.

"Who was that?" I raise a brow, poking my tongue into my right cheek.

"No one." He shrugs, smiling another 'I'm-so-innocent-I-don't-even-know-the-spelling-of-the-word-'kiss',' smile.

I raise both brows, pursing my lips.

He then does something he's been doing ever since we were kids.

He zips his mouth and throws the invisible key away.

I grin once again, unable to control it.

He looks surprised, yet, quickly hides it.

"You know, I don't think I'll ever get used to this." He says, looking at me with something like fondness.

"Huh?"

"This," He gestures to me, "This bright-color-wearing, smiling Alpha, who freaks out over a date and giggles at my jokes." He shakes his head. "In my mind, you are the grumpy old lady, and I'm the ever-bubbly chocolate boy." He says seriously, tilting his head to the side with a frown.

What the fuck?

"Old lady?" I glare, "You!" My fingers fold into fists involuntarily and before I know it, I'm rushing forward. He anticipates my move, blocking it. "No!" He protests, trying to protect himself from a scorned Alpha as he grabs my hands by the wrists. I try to withdraw it from his grip, but he doesn't loosen, but, I don't give up either. I forcefully move my fists and hit him once or twice, before he gives up and lets my hands free, and hits me back as well.