glossary + soundtrack

I realize that not everyone is familiar with the ins and outs of university life in the US, especially in regards to fraternities, so this glossary is for your benefit! please reference this as needed

✗ ✗ 

Greek life The umbrella term for fraternities and sororities.

Rush The process of recruitment to a fraternity or sorority. In this process, current members determine whether or not a person is a good fit for their organization. 

Pledge A probationary member of a fraternity or sorority; a person who has just been accepted into a fraternity or a sorority. Also called a new member. 

Pledge Class • A group of probationary/new members who were accepted into a fraternity or sorority at the same time or in the same semester/year.

Pledging  The act of seeking membership into a fraternity/sorority.

Brother/Sister • A member of a fraternity / sorority.

GDI / God Damn Independent Someone not affiliated with Greek life/someone not in a fraternity or sorority. Typically insinuates that this person has a disdain for Greek life, and would not want to be involved with it. 

Unaffiliated • Someone not part of Greek life.

Sorostitute A slur used for a woman involved with a sorority who is perceived to be promiscuous.

House Rat / Frat Rat • A woman who is commonly seen around a fraternity house, and may or may not have slept with (or "hooked up" with in some way, shape, or form) one or more of the brothers. 

Fraternity / Sorority House or Townhouse • Where some or all of the members of a fraternity or sorority live during the school year. Typically on the campus of the university, but sometimes can be located off campus. Most schools reserve the right to kick certain groups off campus if rules have been broken (i.e. numerous citations of underage drinking, endangering minors, hazing, sexual assault, noise complaints, etc.)

Greek Row  A section on a university campus (like a street, a block, etc.) where the majority of fraternity or sorority houses are located.

Haze / Hazing • Initiation rituals that are typically humiliating and/or dangerous. Hazing is illegal, but many organizations and groups still engage in it in order to see if potential new members are truly committed to joining. 

Chapter •  A national sorority or fraternity -- meaning their organization is present at more than one university in the country -- has a "chapter" or group at each university they are a part of. That group is referred to as that university's "chapter" of that specific sorority/fraternity. Chapter is also shorthand for "chapter meeting" where members of that sorority/fraternity meet (typically weekly) to discuss matters regarding the organization.

✗ ✗ 

click the external link to listen on spotify

matches to paper dolls • dessa

one more night • maroon 5

i don't trust myself • john mayer

dark doo wop • ms mr

ocean drive • duke dumont

slow dancing in a burning room • john mayer

secret maroon 5

who's gonna save my soul • gnarls barkley

✗ ✗ ✗