Chapter 5

Fitz's mind began to overflow with emotions and memories that even Sophie felt overwhelmed being in his mind. Each memory sped past her, quickly resurfacing only for Fitz to pull them back as fast as he could. Sophie only saw glimpses of everything, and realized that his mind was putting memories together of the times she had blushed around him or her bashful behavior, all the memories that made crystal clear sense in this new light.

Sophie almost regretted her decision until she felt the emotions attached with the memories of her smiling face and brave moments. And then it became clear to her.

He liked her too.

It felt like her heart was about to explode from the realization and quickly tried to hide this strange feeling - the excitement, the unbelief that he liked her!

She must have not been quick enough because he immediately thought: I guess you figured it out, huh?

Sophie didn't know what to say. She had so many emotions swirling around she couldn't think straight.

Fitz smiled. I guess we were both worried for nothing. He squeezed her hand as she blushed.

Yeah, Sophie thought. But why would you be worried? Every girl loves you. They'd give anything to have the Fitz Vacker even look their way.

Have you met you? Fitz thought. You're an extraordinary elf making history every other day! And don't think that guys weren't after you too.

Sophie thought back to her times with Dex and Keefe. She tried not to focus too much on the latter. It had been pretty obvious that they liked her, but she had tried to ignore it. But she never thought Fitz did...

Yeah, I guess I didn't do much to give you any hints, Fitz said.

Well I didn't either, Sophie responded.

You gave me enough, Fitz transmitted, his mind flashing to all the hints his brain had assembled into the conclusion of her affection for him. I was just blind to see it. I even thought you liked Keefe.

You did?

Yeah. The way you bonded with Keefe and even had your own team - and the way Keefe kept talking about you I thought it was a mutual thing.

It hurt to think about Keefe. But Fitz did have a point.

Did you like him? Fitz said in her silence.

Sophie shrugged. Maybe. But now...

Fitz gave her a sad smile. Yeah. Keefe had guessed that I liked you. I never confirmed or denied it, but he knew.

I'm pretty sure that he knew I liked you too. Being an empath and all. And he never told either of us!

Seems like something Keefe would do, Fitz thought sadly. I miss him- he was like a brother to me. Just as much as Alvar.

Sophie squeezed his hand. It's okay. We have each other now.

Fitz grinned. I can't believe this is happening. It's taking me a while just to wrap my mind around it.

Me too.

       Really?

       Well, yeah! You're the Fitz Vacker. You're also the handsome elf that found me - She blushed after she said it - and you're like a prince here.

       Well, you're the Sophie Foster. The girl that even rebels can't contain. Your talents are beyond amazing compared to mine. It's a grand honor to be Cognates with you, not to mention being liked by you-

         I don't think I'm that great. I'm just an elf trying to do the right thing.

       Fitz smiled. And that's what I like best about you. You're humble, and you only think about the benefit of others, even if you suffer for it.

       Sophie blushed. Thanks.

       Tiergan entered the room, startling them both. He chuckled at their reaction. "Everything is going well, I hope?"

      "Better than that," Fitz said, squeezing her hand.

       "Good. Once you guys learn to trust each other more, you'll find it easier to tell each other secrets from the heart," Tiergan said. "It'll be a great asset to the both of you."

      Sophie and Fitz smiled. They had already shared their greatest secrets from heart to heart.

                      The End

*Author's Note*
Ahh! It's over guys!!!
I hope you all enjoyed it! Sorry the last chapter is a little shorter than the others. And that it took me a while to get it done!!
What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day then reading about your OTP?
What was your favorite chapter of this fanfic? Tell me in comments!
Again, thank you all so much for you support so far! It's meant so much to me!
As for what comes after this, I don't think I'll be on and writing until summer (I know it's so far away but I'm so busy!!!). I plan on the SoKeefe and Sophex fanfics and one more KotLC fanfic- one longer, like the Foxfire Formall Ball.
Stay awesome everyone!
~InkheadWriter

(This chapter's art was done by Siocynder)