Chapter 3

Fitz was back the next day at Foxfire. Sophie saw him on her way to the dreaded Telepathy session. He was waiting at the corner leading to the hallway.

His teal eyes lit up when he saw her. "Hey," he said, flashing his movie-star smile, once again making her heart flutter. "I thought we could walk together. It's not a regular thing to share a session with someone - especially the most talented elf of all time."

Sophie blushed. "Thanks Fitz." She was flattered that he has wanted to walk with her but she couldn't help but notice all the ugly stares from the elves in the hallway followed by hushed whispering. Sophie could only imagine what they were saying.

"Ready for Cognate training?" Fitz asked, startling Sophie in the process. She should've known he wasn't going to simply walk beside her in silence.

Sophie squeaked out a "yes".

Fitz raised an eyebrow. "That doesn't sound so convincing"

Sophie remained silent.

"You can trust me, you know that? Nothing you say will change how I see you." He leaned in really close. "I promise."

Sophie nodded, still nervous. I can't tell him I can't tell him I can't tell him was the only thought that occupied her mind.

"Hey Sophie?" Fitz interrupted her thoughts. "I mean it. You could even tell me that you're the leader of the Neverseen and I'd still think you're the most amazing elf ever. That's what Cognate Training is for, remember?"

Sophie nodded. She remembered feeling sick to her stomach over the fact of spilling all of her secrets. She felt more and more nervous as they approached the door to their Telepathy Session-- the session of doom, Sophie thought.

"Welcome," Tiergan said as they walked through the door together. "Please take your seats," he said. Sophie's heart pounded at the sight of the two chairs facing each other as she sat down. "I'm sure you two know the procedure - continue your Cognate Training using the textbooks located on the desk. I have some... business to attend to."

"Is it about Prentice?" Sophie asked, eager to stall Cognate Training and think about anything other than sharing secrets with the boy right in front of her.

       Tiergan didn't meet her gaze. "Unfortunately. There are reasons we've kept him from you for the time being. I'm sure we'll have it all under control eventually." He stole a glance at Fitz. "I must get going. I trust you won't need my help?"

       Fitz smiled. "I think we'll be fine."

       Sophie gave Tiergan a panicked smile, trying to communicate that it was everything but fine. But her mouth said "yeah, we'll be fine" anyway.

       Tiergan nodded and leaped away with a flash of light.

       "Shall we get started then?" Fitz asked, flipping through the textbook. "Where were we?"

       Sophie honestly couldn't remember (or maybe she just didn't want to remember) where they had left off, despite her photographic memory.

      "Oh! I remember!" Fitz said. "You were about to tell me something that one time until Keefe interrupted you."

       Sophie bit her lip, squirming inside. She'd been afraid of that. Fitz didn't need to be a mind reader to know that was a secret she was reluctant to share.

      "You can trust me," he whispered.

       Sophie took a long breath as they synced their minds together. Okay.

       You first, he said.

       Fitz, I... I...

       Sophie hesitated. Was she really doing this?

Author's Note:
Will Sophie confess? Ah! Sorry for such a cliffhanger! And that this chapter is shorter than normal!!
Only two chapters left! I don't know when I'll update them but I hope I will soon!

Art is once again by Siocynder on tumblr. (It you haven't already, follow them!!!)

Also, I have a Q&A book up if anyone wants to ask me any questions! (No spoilers of course)
*Also excited because The Foxfire Formal Ball has reached 7k views*

Thank you all for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!
~InkheadWriter