He faced his daughter and reached out to tug gently at her ear. Abigail scrunched her nose at him and after a shaky breath, nodded at him to continue.

Smiling at her proudly, he leaned back as he continued. "If it weren't for the people we had placed in law enforcement, the medical profession and the legal system, it would have been impossible to squash all the horror stories that took place during that dark time. To the rogues, humans were nothing more than collateral damage and I doubt very much that they even gave us a thought. But at least our group was able to prevent werewolves from becoming public knowledge; and that left the werewolf community as a whole, able to successfully take care of the situation."

"And we also lost a lot of our people too when they happened to get too close to the conflict."

Abigail frowned at her mother after she uncharacteristically interrupter her father. "Mom?"

"That is how Grandpa Malloy died honey. He got too close to the rogues when he and a friend were trying to find out what their next move was going to be. There was a skirmish and he got bit. Not badly, but it was enough to lead the rogues right to him. So he sent his friend out to safety to give the information to their contact while he led the rogue wolves the other way. His friend, in turn, was able to get word out and that pack was warned about the planned attack."

"And when did Grandma tell you the truth mom?"

"Not until I was told about werewolves. Until then I believed he died in a car crash like Grandma said. And as far as the rest of the world is concerned, that is the way it will stay."

"But why? Mom, dad; wouldn't it be a good thing if the shifters knew about you?"

"No, it wouldn't." Tyler sighed the words with a sad smile.

Mandy frowned at Tyler. "Why on earth not!"

Shaking his head he smiled at her wryly. "There are some of the shifters who would miss-use that knowledge. As it is, one of the key responsibilities of the alpha's are to prevent their pack members from slipping up and letting the cat out of the bag. If this 'group' became public knowledge in the shifter communities, it would make them careless and sloppy. No; Henry is right. The less of our kind that know about them, the better."

Marion was quick to interrupt any further comment. "I do not agree with you completely."

"Marion." Henry's voice was a soft warning.

"Henry, you know how I feel about this." She pointed her finger towards Tyler. "His grandfather had a brilliant idea and it saved the lives of the children in his pack and a whole lot more. Why can't our people get the same training?"

"Marion, we do not get to make the rules."

"Times change Henry." Her lips formed a thin line as she frowned at her husband. "Rules should change as well to keep up. The wolves have changed for heaven's sake, why can't we?"

Tyler could see from the weary look in Henry's eyes that this was an old argument and he decided to intervene before they started all over again. "To which grandfather are you referring to?"

"Timothy; your mom's dad. He was one of the first alphas to train the pre-shift teens to fight wolves. Something we should have been doing as well." She gave her husband a meaningful stare as if daring him to contradict her.

"Dear, you know that I agree with you; ... in theory. It is an excellent idea and I know it could have saved plenty of lives; but there is no way that our guys can do that without wolves. And we don't have wolves. And as even Tyler agreed, it would not be good if the shifters knew about us."