Chapter 5 ~ Talks

Start from the beginning

     I chuckled darkly. "I guess all of us have horrible back stories that brought us to where we are today."

  Lisanna took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, twiddling her thumbs in her lap. "Yeah, and now were all fairies just humming a tragic song."

     The bell rang, signaling the end of another lunch period. I got up and was about to step out into the cramped hallway when Lisanna grabbed my shoulder, "Lucy... Get Natsu back for us. I know his happy normal self is some where deep down there hidden below layers of pain. Find him. I think I speak for everyone who knew him before this when I say, I want his goofy grin back."

     A shoulder slammed into me, causing me to look away from the blue pleading eyes but when I looked back, they were gone.

Natsu POV

     Sweat dropped down my brow and cheek as the bell rang. I punched the bag in front of me once more and then collapsed on the bench against the wall and chugged some cool water. It soothed my aching body and hot head. Salmon hair dripped down into my face and I ran my fingers through the tangled mess. Why did life have to be so confusing?

     A sandwich landed beside me with a soft thud. Confused, I looked up at the tosser and saw none other than Gildarts. He gestured to the food as he took a swig of water. Sighing and twisting the top of his water bottle on he spoke, "You need to eat. It's not healthy for you to train as much as you do now and barely eat two meals a day." 

     I gave him a sigh and an eye roll, but nonetheless I unwrapped the sandwich and bit into it, not caring what kind it was. Knowing Gildarts, there was probably some kind of extra protein in it since he was pushing food on me now. 

     He sat down beside me, "I just got back from Makarov's office. He said your grades are rising again. Are you trying to raise them because you finally realize your idiotic ways or because of the threat from the military?" 

     "I really just wanna get through these last years here without any more streaks across my record I guess." I lied.

     Gildarts let out a billowing laugh, "So it is the military then?" 

      I groaned at Gildarts' ability to read me but I really was terrified of the military. Not the service itself, but the program to get into the service. With my "lovely little" permanent record, there would be no "you did okay today, take a break" or "go work on this for awhile then come back" or even "go get lunch". It would be all "shut the hell up and give me more!" which did not sound like the life I wanted. A living hell and then some was not my definition of fun. 

     "But while we're just sitting here, Mira's little sister told me to give you this." In his hand, he held a slip of paper, folded up neatly and on the front it read "Natsu" in beautiful cursive writing. 

     I took the small piece of paper and opened it up. I began to read:

Natsu,

I think I found your "Luce" for you. Stop dragging your heels like the baka you are and talk to her! I think she misses you. 

Lisanna

     Under the note was a number that I could only assume was Lucy's. I shoved it in my book bag. She didn't want to talk to me. Lisanna was just playing matchmaker like Mirajane used to. 

     Though there was some part of me that wanted to try it. Some part of me wanted to believe that she hadn't completely forgotten about my life and existence after I yelled at her. I wanted to believe she was still my best friend. I mean we kept our promises, didn't we? Lucy and I both ended up at Fairy Tail Academy and I guess were living our dreams, or rather trying to live our dreams. 

     A large ball smacked me in the face, snapping me out of my thoughts and back into the small training room. Anger built up inside of as Gildarts stood grinning at his good work. 

     "What the hell was that for?!" I screamed, "I was just sitting here, minding my own business and you come and knock the frickin' hell out of my face! Are you trying to piss me off?!" I quickly ran at him, my eyes and fists blazing and without flinching, Gildarts knocked my off my feet. I landed on the floor, face down and Gildarts was laughing hysterically. 

     "Reminds me of old times, kid!" I groaned, remembering the first time I met Gildarts...

     It was a cold, winter day and I was wandering lost in the woods. School had let out for winter break about a week ago and I had decided to go and search for my missing father. I walked around in my little red coat and scarf, calling "Igneel" and "Dad" over and over again, until my voice was nearly gone. That night, I climbed a tree and slept in the little nook of a tree. I woke up the next morning, stomach growling and I was out of food. I was slowly getting weaker and weaker with every passing step. Until one day I collapsed.

     I woke up in a warm bed, surrounded by blankets, pillows and a table of soup and warm food sat beside me. Sitting up, I was about to dig in to the food when I remembered what had happened and quickly grew suspicious of where I was. A tall man in a cloak entered into the bedroom and grinned at me. "I see you're awake." 

     "Who are you?" I could still picture the scene in my head perfectly and hear my little voice, still hoarse from screaming so much speaking out to the man who would become a second father to me and later risk his life to save me. 

     "I'm Gildarts. Are you lost, kid? I found you collapsed in the woods and I never find anyone out here except the occasional monster." He sat down in the chair beside me and I tried to get up. Suddenly, a shooting pain shot through my arm. I looked down and found a wrap around my wrist. 

     I looked up at the man who had saved me and healed my wounds. His eyes spoke of truth and he gave off an aura of kindness. "I've been trying to find my dad, Igneel. He disappeared not too long ago and now I can't find him anywhere. So I'm gonna find him and show him how strong I can be!" I smiled wildly.

    He just laughed and ruffled my hair. "You got spunk, kid. I'll give you that."

     I growled and yelled, "Fire Dragon Roar!" Fire began to spew from my mouth but Gildarts just put his hand over my mouth. 

     "Dragon slayer, huh? Ain't seen one of you guys in a while! And especially not one so tiny!" 

     I jumped out of the bed and ignited my fists, ready to punch his face, "Fire Dragon's Iron-" His fist slammed into my jaw and I landed face first on the wooden floor.

     "But it wasn't soon after that until you found Happy's little egg. And then we repeated the process!" Gildarts reminded me, laughing.

     I smiled slightly, thinking about my little blue exceed that had been out of the house the past few days with his long time crush, Carla, another little white exceed who belonged to the girl I considered my little sister, Wendy. 

     "Enough sentimental crap! Let's get training!" Gildarts screamed. 

     Feeling a little bit happier for the first time in two years, I yelled my signature quote, "I'm all fired up!"