The Devil's Stars

The date was nineteen years ago, and a local New York blacksmith, Elijah Cunningham, was fresh out of school and starting his life.  He sat in his work area, trying to think of what to get his girlfriend for Christmas, which was in the approaching week.  The front door blew open, and along with the snow came in Father Benson, from the church three blocks away.  He was bundled up in his coat, frigid from the cold.

"Father," Elijah said, "what brings you here tonight?  I thought you were giving ten o'clock sermons until Christmas Eve."

"There have been certain issues causing my absence," he said, sitting down on a stool by Elijah's workbench.  "I want you to make me something."

"What is it?"

"How are you with stonework?"

"I suppose I'm okay with it, but I'm a blacksmith, not a stoneworker.  It might take me a while, depending on what you want."

"Build me six gargoyles for the church's bell tower.  I can't offer you that much money, but we need something up at the top."

"For what?"

"What is a church without some protectors?"

"Well, you do have that giant stone angel in front; the one my father built.  I suppose you need guards for the heavens."

"So will you do it?"

"I don't see why not."

"Thank-you, son.  The church will repay you someday."  

Have you ever just sat in one place, as still as stone, and stared into space?  Have you been doing that your whole life?  Is that not what everyone does in the first place, stare into space?  It is where everyone seems to get their answers, even me.  The stars are beautiful to stare at when you have to.  I know all the constellations off by heart.  There is Orion, the one that I am named after.

Gemini sits a few feet to my left.  He had a twin before he was named, but during a strong storm, the twin fell off.  The watchman gave the surviving twin the name Gemini; he always says his twin didn't fall, he was pushed.  But by what?  He cannot remember it very well.  Draco always makes fun of him for that.  Draco is to Gemini's left and faces the ocean.  When the winds come off of the water in the spring, he is always cold or hot, never in between.

Perseus is to my right.  He knew Gemini's twin quite well, but never speaks of that time around us.  He is quiet; never outspoken.  His brother, Cepheus, who is even farther to my right, is a joker like Draco.  The birds always flock to him for some reason.  They never touch the rest of us.

Daytime is as quiet as Perseus's conversation skills.  We can see the entire city from the bell tower.  There is the occasional comment by Draco on the lack of sunlight during the rainy season, but it is never light here.  Nighttime is when we are free to do what we want, or can get away with.

It was getting darker as I looked down to the city.  Tonight was Mass since the holiday season was approaching.  People were heading into the church as it snowed lightly from the sky.  Gemini was looking at where his twin once sat.  Sometimes he thinks about what his brother would be named.  Perseus tries not to.

Draco was starting to shake the snow off of his wings.  We all have graceful wings like the kind seen on the angels inside the cathedral.  I have only been in there once, and we made it clear that we cannot go back again.  One night, Cepheus made the decision to go and explore the church.  That was a year ago during Midnight Mass, and after we were almost caught, the rules were made.