Salvation

The church looked different during the day.  Of course, we were no longer at the top of the bell tower.  No one was protecting it from evil.  Sprague parked on the road, a few yards away from the stone angel.  It looked different during the daytime as well.  I was seeing everything in a new light.

Sprague must have noticed I was looking at it.  "That's the Iron Angel.  A blacksmith made it in the sixties."

"But it is made of stone," I pointed out.

"No one knows why they call it that.  There was a different Father back then, and shortly after the Iron Angel was put up, he died.  Father Benson took his place."

"Is he still here?"

"Yes, but his days will end soon.  He's sick."

"Who will replace him?"

"No one knows the answer to that question either."

"You could."

"I couldn't be a minister.  I've done some pretty bad things in my life that ministers can't really have on their résumé."

"Like what?"

"That's a story for another day, boy.  I'm going to head up to the bell tower and see what's been going on.  You can explore the grounds, but don't wander off."

We got out of the car and Sprague went into the church.  I stood in front of the Iron Angel, only a small distance away from where Gemini's brother had fallen more than a year before.  I did not believe in curses.  I only took them into consideration.  Draco had been angry at the wind and cursed us all for poking fun at his troubles.  Was he really more powerful than we thought?  Were we really more powerful than we thought?

A member of the church was walking towards me.  It was one of the Sisters, and she had a bouquet of flowers in her arms.  She was young, maybe a few years older than Shawnee.  She placed the flowers at the foot of the angel.  "Beautiful, isn't she?"

"But does she have a purpose?" I asked.

"She was given to the church in the sixties by Patrick Cunningham, an immigrant from Ireland who was a good friend of the old Father.  Father Benson says she welcomes salvation to those looking to cleanse their sins."

"Why do they call her the Iron Angel?"

"The answer to that died with Father Lynch.  Uh, sorry, but I didn't catch your name."

"It is Orion."

"I'm Sister Bernadette, but everyone calls me Bernie."  She offered her hand, and it took me a moment to figure out that I had to shake it.  "What brings you here on this fine day?"

"I am Sprague's nephew."

"Ah, the bell tower watchman.  I bet I know why he's here.  Our gargoyles went missing two nights ago, and no one knows where they went.  A little over a year ago, one fell during a storm.  The other looked like they mourned his death for weeks."

"We did."

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing."

"Well, it's a tradition here that we place fresh flowers at the Angel's feet.  They always disappear within a day or two.  No one knows where they go."

I remembered vaguely the flowers that would be in front of the angel.  Perseus would always say something about them, put I never paid attention to his words.  "She accepts them."

"Maybe, but it's hard to tell.  Has Sprague said anything about the gargoyles?  Father Benson is very upset at their loss."

"He does not know where they hide.  But they were merely stone; why does the Father want them back?"