Chapter 19 | Heartbreak Girl

Start from the beginning

I huffed, then let my guard down. "I'm just tired, you guys. I don't like going behind her back, but I think you guys were right. I doubt there was another way. But do you guys think this means that she's been binging on chocolate?"

They shared a grimace, then Jodie spoke. "I think so."

I sighed deeply and put my head in my hands. "Thanks guys." I smiled weakly. "I think I'll just go check on Al."

"Hey, at least she's not anorexic or anything, right?" Jake smiled weakly, thinking it was some kind of joke that he had said. His smile turned into a frown as Jodie glared and I merely looked at him. He scratched the back of his neck. "Heh, sorry. Too soon?"

I just nodded.

They understood that I needed my isolation to think everything over and contemplate, so they got up and left.

I slowly walked into Al's room to check on her, before I remembered that she wasn't in her room; she was in mine. Just as I was about to leave, I saw Al's phone vibrating on her bed. I knew it wasn't right of me to snoop, but I had an ominous feeling that I should know what was in that text and who sent it to her.

I gingerly picked up her phone and located her messaging app. I opened it to see that the text was from none other than a restricted number that I had a pretty good idea belonged to the boy who broke my best friend's heart. I scrolled up a bit to the start of the messages and started reading.

________________

Restricted: Hey babe, what's up? ;)

Al: why aren't u texting your girlfriend, lover-boy

Restricted: How do you know about Sadie? O.o

Al: sadie? is that her name? well im surprised u havent seen all of the articles and pictures of u two wrapped around each other

Restricted: What are you talking about, babe?

Restricted: OH! You're talking about Allison!

Al: oh i see is it a new girl every week? u just got bored of me and decided to go find a new lay?

Restricted: What are you talking about, love?

Al: leave me alone calum you've done enough already

Restricted: Come on babe, don't be like this.

Restricted: Babe? Hello?

Restricted: Whatever. See if I care. You're just a whore anyway.

Restricted: Oh and tell your little friend Kate that Luke doesn't care about her. He just wants to get in her pants.

________________

I was furious. I had just patched up Kate's feelings, and Al had been getting seemingly better, but he had the audacity to ruin her? Again?

I threw the phone back on the bed and rushed into my bedroom to see Al just getting up. I calmed down a bit, seeing her red, damp face.

"Al...."

She jumped as she realized I had entered the room. She turned panicked. "Listen, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to trash your room, I was just so mad -"

I put my hand up and she became silent immediately. "I know," I said simply.

"You-you mean you -"

"Yeah, I read the messages, and may I just say..."

Her expression turned from panicked to pained. She winced a little, waiting for me to yell and rampage all around the house about Calum.

"...I'm sorry."

She looked mildly surprised that I hadn't insulted him, but appreciative all the same. I understood her position, even though I couldn't empathize with her. I simply hugged her and she practically melted into me. I held her up stubbornly and squeezed her until she started complaining that she couldn't breathe. I let her go, chuckling, and I saw a small smile appear on her face. I mentally congratulated myself, and decided that now wasn't the time to interrogate her about the chocolate binging.

"I'll leave you to it, then." I smiled at her and quietly left the room, leaving the door open only a crack. I didn't want anything to happen and she lock it and I not be able to get in the room.

No one messed with my friends - no one. Calum had better have hoped that I never saw him again, because if I did, he'd be a goner.

*************

bro i suck like im cringing.

dedi to @zaynsloveangel bc she won't ever update the story im waiting for.

ashley x