"It seemed apt. We were flirting back then, in case you didn't realise." Well, yeah, wel... Shut up.

"But didn't you know it was me?"

The woman nodded once more, her face as dear and familiar as when I made her immortal. "Of course, you don't forget the man who saved your life. It's good to see you."

Oh really. "Yes, I didn't get that impression when you were threatening to kill me."

That made her smile, changing voices. "The Knightmare has a reputation to maintain."

"It's a very good voice. My sister has this way of doing it when she's following a lead. Last time I saw you, you were founding a leper colony. I was so proud of you."

Her face darkened a little. "Proud of me? You weren't even there."

"Yes, I was. You didn't see me, but I saw you. Remember, I walk through walls."

"And you just left me there?"

Oh, Ashildr... "Well, you seemed fine."

Ash's face was dubious. "In a leper colony? No matter. You're here now. We should celebrate."

"Oh, no, this isn't a visit, I've got a job to do, before my parents wake up. I'm here looking for an alien object which has no business being here on Earth in 1651. It was just, it just so happened, you know, that my tracking device, it led me to the carriage that you were, you know, robbing. There wasn't. I didn't. It was a-"

Her eyes were wide. "You mean, you haven't come for me?"

Oh, Ash... "No. It was just a coincidence."

A church clock chimed in the distance as I shook my head sadly. How did da think she was wrong, I was looking at her and saw nothing more perfect. "Oh, Ashildr, I'm sorry."

"Who's Ashildr?" 

No... Finite memory... "You are. That's your name. Ashildr, daughter of Einarr. Chuckles. I used to call him Chuckles. And you, you're Ash, the rising Ash that will never fall. Do you remember?"

Ashildr paused for a moment, before nodding a little. "Yes. I think I remember the village."

"You loved that village."

"If you say so."

What are you talking about? "Anyone in that village would have died for you."

"Well, they're all dead now, and here I am. So, I guess it all worked out."

"Ashildr."

"That's not my name. I don't even remember that name."

Fine, fine, I'll rise to it. "Well, what, what, what do you call yourself?"

"Me."

Uh, yeah, it wasn't my imaginary friend. Da got rid of him, he was psychic pollen. "Yes, you. There's nobody else here."

Ash smiled a little. "No. I call myself Me. All the other names I chose died with whoever knew me. Me is who I am now. No one's mother, daughter, wife. My own companion. Singular. Unattached. Alone. Anyway, I should get started. Jump on, I'll give you a ride. You can help me."

"With what?"

"Packing." Me told me, walking back to her horse. "Come on."

So I jumped on behind her, and we went up to a manor, and it was huge. It was like Mycrofts house. I had to bug it, make sure he wasn't curious of SJ. "It's a big place for someone who lives on their own."

"I have a servant. And all manner of visitors drop in." Why did that make me jealous. "Your device, what is it?" 

I looked down at my phone. "My curioscanner? Oh, it, er, it sort of scans for, it scans for curios." How self explanatory was that? "I've just realised how it got its name. It's been tracking exoplanetary energy for the last couple of weeks. I've been following it across the galaxy, without my da knowing."