Chapter 1 - Reminiscing

Lightning lit up the dim room as it struck, thunder following seconds after the lightning's grand appearance. I flinched at the sudden sound, clutching at the comforters that was wrapped around me. I'm usually not here in my apartment at this time of night, but here in the city of Seoul, South Korea, a bad thunderstorm paid an unexpected visit tonight. Honestly, as much as I love water, I really don't feel like getting soaked today.

  Today was a relaxing, but very wet Sunday, but thankfully school was out today. Seoul University is really no joke. I mean, I didn't know studying music would be so frustrating and complicated. Don't get me wrong, I know for a fact that making music requires passion, motivation, and hard work. But I find myself wanting to drop out of school from time to time. I just can't handle so much stress sometimes.

  I was snapped out of my thoughts as the apartment's front door slammed shut. My rat of a roommate had finally arrived.

  I got up quickly and locked my door, not really wanting to speak with her at the moment. She's not a bad person at all, she's actually really nice. When I say rat of a roommate, I'm saying that she doesn't particularly give off a pleasant aroma. I hate to sound rude, but I don't think it's healthy for a person to smell the way she does. As beautiful of a person she is, it's only common sense to know that she needs to be taking care of herself. I think something may be wrong with her.

  "Imogen, are you in here? Or are you at the laundromat?" She asked, her voice sounding through my door.

  I bit my lip, clearing my throat before speaking. "I just woke up from a nap Subin!" I called back, squeezing my eyes shut as I hoped I sounded convincing.

  "Oh alright, I brought home some food. It's on the table in the front," she stated, and I hummed in response.

  I sighed in relief as I heard her footsteps disappear down the hallway. I try to be around her, I really do, but I just can't handle it. I even tried telling her, but me being that one friend who is too nice, I backed out. I tried getting other people to tell her, but they wouldn't either, so I feel really bad. I just know that she notices everyone avoiding her. Poor baby.

  I stood up from my bed, pulling on my adidas hoodie, and I unlocked my door and walked out, grabbing the instant noodle bowl Subin put out for me. I walked into the kitchen and heated the food up, eating it soon after it finished. Nice and spicy, the way I like it.

  As I enjoyed my instant meal, the hairs of my neck stood as I felt time creeping up on me. It's about time I head to the laundromat. Gosh, it sounds so weird but it feels so good whenever I say it.

It's either around eleven or twelve at night when the laundromat is completely empty. Most of the time, I stay there until about, two in the morning, but sometimes, I also fall asleep there. I try not to, but I can't help it since the lights dim at night and it's pretty much silent other than the sounds machines running. Speaking of the machines, the sound of them soothes me too.

"Subin! I'm heading out now!" I called out, pulling on my coat and grabbing our dirty laundry.

"Okay! Remember you have a test tomorrow, so try your best not to fall asleep!" She called back and I yelled an okay as a response.

  I grabbed my umbrella and rushed out, cursing under my breath as I struggled to hold both my laundry basket and umbrella in hand. I eventually gave up though, huffing and pulling my hood over my head. I walked out into the pouring rain, shivering at the sudden contact the cold decided to offer. It's amazing that I'd risk my own health for some 24-hour laundromat that'll just be open the next day. But my worst fear is getting into the habit of not going.

  I rushed across the street, careful of cars that passed by. I blinked rapidly, as the rain began to cover my glasses, blinding me. I knew this street by the back of my hand though, so I should have no problem.

  Finally, I stood in front of the small building, the fluorescent lights shining the words "24-Hour Laundromat" brightly. Absentmindedly, I smiled slightly and sighed before pushing my way inside the place. After dropping my laundry basket on the ground, I used my sleeves to wipe down my glasses. I then pushed my basket to the furthest washing machine, and began doing my work.

  People who know me often ask why I come here every night. I do have an answer, but I like to feel that I don't. I'm comfortable with thinking that it's just something I like to do, for absolutely no reason at all. But unfortunately, I do have a reason, that I'm not exactly comfortable with sharing, nor thinking about for that matter. I just enjoy reminiscing on the times I did have at this very laundromat I'm standing in right now. This place holds the key to my happiness, well, at least a big part of it.

  After finishing putting all of my clothes in the washing machines, I leaned my back on one of the dryers, smiling to myself as got my mind to run. I started to recall the memory of my brothers and I, dancing to the beat the dryers made, while my older sister freestyled off of it.

  "It goes round and round, all these clothes, the dirties spiralin' down," she said whatever came to her mind, convincing us that she spit the hottest bars of that time period.

  My twin brother, Jae, and I used to always steal the quarters from the machines after everyone left, and we counted all the money we had everyday once we get home. I remember the exact number too; 20,000 won in total. We were totally amazed and we believed that we were invincible. But eventually, my mother found out and she made us give it all to the one who deserved it. At least we tried.

  My focus was then divided, as I noticed a man approaching the laundromat. My eyes widened and I looked at my watch; it's one in the morning. I looked around frantically, quickly trying to think of something to do, since I don't want to be put in some situation that involves awkwardness or danger. I eventually hid behind the washing machines though, dragging my laundry basket along with me. I clutched the basket as I heard the bells of the entrance ring, afraid of what's to come.

  "Who the heck comes to laundromats at one in the morning?" I mumbled to myself, moving to the corner of the machine as I tried to get a peek at what the guy looks like. "Oh, I do, and this is a 24-hour laundromat dumb dumb," I answered myself, shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

  I instantly shut up once I heard humming and footsteps. The guy seemed to have a deep voice, nice and steady too. I turned to look back at him once again, but I noticed that he was standing right next to the washing machine I was hiding behind of. I instantly panicked, crawling away quickly, beside the washing machine so he wouldn't see me. I prayed over and over for him not to see me as I crawled, and my mood was instantly lifted as I saw that the rain stopped. I pushed the door open, crawling out quickly so he wouldn't notice me. Then, I got up and ran, my basket in hand, not turning back once.