Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

Lastly, the baby. Dominic and the baby were clearly interacting when the photo was taken. His smile was wide and whatever he had been saying towards the baby, had made them laugh. Rose looked happy, happy but annoyed. I put that photo down and glanced at the second one, picking it up also.

The second picture was just the two of them: Dominic and Rose. The day seemed beautiful; with bright blue skies, not a cloud in sight. The cobblestone driveway they stood on and the beautiful, luscious green palm trees lining the driveway gave away their location: Miami, Florida. The two of them were leaning against the hood of a black Lamborghini, heads bowed. They both wore all black, while Rose supported an Adidas cap on her head. Their heads were bowed as they stood side-by-side. I could tell Dom was smiling, as he had tilted his head a bit to his right, glancing at his wife.

And just like that, I felt my anger for him subside. It didn't go away completely, but it did subside. As my thoughts had ran in the shower, I was upset that Dominic hadn't taken it upon himself to seduce Camilla. Instead, he had thrusted the idea into my hands and stupidly enough, I had initially gone along with it.

I kept my cool as Dominic walked out the closet, partially dressed. With his dress pants unbuttoned and not zipped, his boxers were visible. He had a towel slung over his head but as he marched further into the room, I watched him yank it off and sling it to the ground. A burgundy red, long-sleeved shirt was hanging off his shoulders, just waiting to be buttoned, and a matching black tie was thrown around his neck in a messy manner. He looked like he was about to speak, but as he lifted his eyes to my hands, he stopped.

I put the second picture down and only pointed at the first one, with the baby. "Who's the baby?" I could tell it hit him for a second and for just a moment, he was having flashbacks. He was still looking at me, but the light in his eyes had faded and if I waved a hand in front of his face, he wouldn't have responded. His hands even stopped messing with his shirt and I suddenly started regretting asking.

Dom blinked back and cleared his throat. "Her name was Maggie; short for Margaret. Rose wanted to adopt and I was okay with that," He points to the picture, "We fell in love with her the first three visits and we were ready to sign the paperwork and everything..." My heart fell as Dominic cleared his throat once again, shooting me a painful smile. He turns away, glancing out the window instead of at me.

It was clear he was done speaking on this topic. I took a step towards him, speaking up loudly. "That wasn't why I wanted to speak with you," Dom angles his body back to me, "We have to talk about Camilla."

"Camilla?"

"—Rodriguez; with the drug lord father?"

Dominic nods, appreciating the refresher. "Right. How'd that go?"

I let out a cold laugh, shaking my head. My eye twitched as my mind continued to replay the events from the other night. Whenever I felt her fingers on my skin; whether that was my hand on my neck, I cringed. I cringed as if someone had dragged their nails along a chalkboard. I shook off the peculiar feeling and stared at Dominic, who had a curious expression on his face.

I stumbled over the first few words, unsure of how to start my spiel. I place both of my hands on my chest and look up at the sky, choosing my words carefully. "Dominic, you know me. I'm one of those men that believe every woman is beautiful in her own way, I also understand that nobody makes themselves, so making them feel bad for their looks, is low." Dom raises a curious eyebrow. "But... Have you seen the cartoon version of 101 Dalmatians?"

He nods swiftly.

"She looked like Cruella De Vil."

Dominic lets a second pass, before breaking out in a hearty laugh. I sigh and head to a seat in the corner of the room, dropping down without a care in the world. Dom's deep chuckles die down after a good minute or two or laughter. When I lift my gaze back up from the floor, he was wiping a tear from his eye. With his lips pursed, he clears his throat and grows serious after eyeing the expression I have on my face.