It's Just A Game To You

"...He's got this Eastern European accent and he's probably the oldest county sheriff we've ever had," Charles continues. "And his methods are a bit on the radical side, but he's effective."

Laura takes an enormous bite of her burger and mumbles a response.

He laughs. "Ladylike as ever, kiddo."

Laura pouts at him, her puffed-out cheeks adding to her pitiful look.

"Carmilla Karnstein is a lucky kid," he teases, laughing harder.

Laura scowls at him and swallows her food. "Low blow, dad. Low blow."

He grins at her.

"Anyway what I was trying to say was that maybe he's exactly what we all need. Someone to fight back the corruption," Laura says without thinking.

"Corruption?" He quirks an eyebrow.

Laura's eyes widen and she takes another large bite of her burger. "Speaking of Carm, can you drop me off at her house after this? We're heading out to the arcade."

He takes a moment, obviously aware that she's changing the subject, but unsure if he wants to call her out on it. Finally he gives her a small smile. "Whatever you want, Laur."

She smiles at him and sips from her milkshake.

"She treating you right?" he asks, his previously warmer tone creeping away.

Laura chuckles. "Yes, dad. She's being a perfectly wonderful girlfriend."

He settles back in his seat, nodding with satisfaction. "Good."

Laura takes a bite of her pickle and starts in on her fries.

"Laura?"

"Hmm?"

"You'd better beat her in every video game," he deadpans. "If there's one thing I ask for from you in this relationship, it's that all our hours of hard-work on the Atari and Sega don't go to waste."

Laura throws her head back in a laugh. "Okay, dad."

~*~

"Good... That was g-good, right?" Carmilla asks nervously. "There was only like, minimal glaring this time when he dropped you off?"

Laura giggles and kisses her on the cheek. "That was great."

Carmilla lets out a sigh of relief.

"Wow, daughter of the Dean, trembling in her fashionable black leather boots, over my father," Laura teases.

Carmilla narrows her eyes at Laura. "Cupcake. Your father is the chief deputy. And thinks I'm corrupting you."

Laura shrugs. "In your defense, he would think anyone in your position is corrupting me."

Carmilla rolls her eyes.

Laura tugs her arm and kisses Carmilla on the shoulder. "But I'm glad it's you in your position and no one else."

~*~

Carmilla's mouth drops open. "What the heck, creampuff? What happened to that sweet talk earlier?"

Laura cackles. "That was to soften you up, Karnstein." Her video game character lands another critical hit.

"All that stuff about me being in this position was because I was the only sap dumb enough to agree to getting my ass handed to me," Carmilla grumbles.

The battle ends with Carmilla's character faceplanting in agony.

Laura beams at Carmilla.

"No amount of teeth in your smile is gonna fix the amount of emotional trauma I just suffered," Carmilla growls.