Official friends

"Valentines Day is soon!" Izzy runs up to me with a sing-song tone in her voice.

"Yeah, it is I guess," I shrug and push my hands in my pockets.

"Have anyone in mind?" She asks, almost teasingly.

"What!" I turn to her a little to sharply. She just bursts out laughing.

"Aw come on! When I first started becoming friends with you you and, uh, Jess I think, you were talking about you having a crush."

"Yeah, well, I'm not sure if that would ever work out," I sigh heavily. I haven't made eye contact for fear of giving her a heads up at who my crush is.

"Aw, that's to bad. Why? Did he start dating another girl?"

"She," I correct, "And no. I just don't think she feels the same way," I am looking up at her, halfway expecting her to think differently because of my sexuality. I hope she accepts me for who I am, I hope she accepts me for who I am, I hope she accepts me for who I am.

I'm more nervous now then ever, it's only been a few seconds but it feels like eternity. I'm looking hopefully at her and she seems to just be looking into my eyes. I wish I could read her mind to know what she was thinking.

She seems to realize my worry as she shook her head and turned away. That was the longest and most nerve raking fifteen seconds of my life.

"Sorry," she started, "I guess I zoned out for a sec. Anyway, so they're a her, do I know them?" She exclaims excitedly. I breathe a sigh of relief and turn to this wonderful girl.

"You might, but it doesn't matter. What about you, do you have any little crush?"

"Me? No!" She says quietly and quickly while looking down and blushing. She was just so adorable.

"You blushed! I know you have a crush! Come on, tell me who it is," the truth was, this got me jealous and broke my heart a bit to know she had a crush on someone. But nevertheless I put on a smile and encouraged her to tall me more, just as she had done with me.

"It's no one, honest! Actually I feel like they only think of me as a friend."

"Ahh, the pain of having a crush on your friend. It hurts girl."

"You have no idea," she speaks almost breathlessly.

"Trust me, I do."

I find myself just looking into her eyes now. The deep oceans of blue that I get lost in had claimed me agin.

Did that even make sense? Dear gosh I think I'm turning into Jess.

She turned away from my gaze and looked at my violin.

"You might wanna put that in your case, your mom will be here soon," she says.

"Oh, right."

We sit in a comfortable silence once I finish packing up.  It's only the two of us left now, still waiting for my parents.

I look at this beautiful girl in front of me and smile. I feel bad that she doesn't think her crush would work out and you all know I'd be lying if I said I didn't relate.

I stand up and walk over to the little suggestion box in the corner of the school hallway where we had rehearsal. I pick up the blue pen and a small index card and write.

"What are you doing?" I hear her ask.

"You'll see," I reply with a smirk.

I'm done in a second and sit back down next to her.

"Since neither of our crushes will work out, we could be the best valentines ever!" I exclaim, but freeze when I see her shocked face.

"Just, you know, as friends. Not like dating or anything!" I clarify and we both laugh.

I hand her the little note I wrote and she doesn't even look at it before saying one of her sassy remarks.

"You know there is still two weeks until Valentines Day."

"Whatever. I like to plan ahead!"

She laughs but it's interrupted by a car horn. My mom had arrived.

"Okay, I guess I gotta go now," I say.

"Yeah, I'll text you later though!" She replies with a hug. Her hugs always gave me butterflies.

I walked to my car and when I got home to my wifi I got a new message from Izzy on my iPod.

Izzy: of course we are friends you little poofball! I still luv the note tho! 💜

And attached was a little picture of my note.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I'm bad at poetry

Can I be friends with you?

~Delaney