Getting The Message Arrow

Fourteen years have passed since the divorce. Roslyn De La Rosa is in the kitchen, in their room at the Tellico Halfway House. She puts the groceries away while she waits for her daughter, Traci, to come home from the library. Meanwhile, at the library, Traci walks up to the main desk. She takes the book she needs to return out of her book bag. The librarian, Hallie Frazier, her black eyes, look up from the computer.

"Hello, Traci. What did you think of The Perks of Being a Wallflower?" Hallie asks.

"It was great," Traci says.

"I printed out a list of books that you may like," Hallie says.

Hallie hands her the list. Traci takes a folder out of her bag and puts the list in it. She zips her bag back before putting it back on her shoulder.

"Thank you, I'll look at it later, I want to look around, but I can't. I promised my mom I would just come here to return the book, and that's all I'm going to do." Traci says.

"I wish there were more kids like you," Hallie says.

"I know the world would be much nicer," Traci says.

Traci turns to her left to walk to the door. She decides to take the long way back from the library. The teen wanted to check to see if her special place was still intact after the big storm a few nights ago. She arrives to see her shelter scattered all over the ground.

"I guess I have a lot of cleaning up to do when I come back tomorrow," Traci says.

She turns around to head back down the path. She hears a thump when the message arrow hits the tree. She walks over to the tree to remove it from the trunk. She removes her bookbag and puts it in the section where her library book is.

"I can't believe this is happening. I'm happy that graduation was last week. I guess I won't be coming back here again after all." Traci says.

She puts it back on her back and continues 'home.' Traci walks to the Tellico Halfway House, and one of the staff, Samantha Lopez, walks up to her.

"Hi, Traci," Samantha says.

"Hi, Ms. Lopez. Have you seen my mom?" Traci asks.

"Yes, I saw her going to your room with some groceries a few minutes ago," Samantha says.

"Thanks," Traci says.

Traci heads to the room she and her mom live in and opens the door.

"Mom, I'm back," Traci says.

"I'm in the kitchen, sweetie," Roslyn says.

Traci walks to the kitchen and sits down at the table. She watches her mom put the last can in the cupboard. Roslyn walks over to the table. Traci unzips her bag and sets the message arrow down.

"Mom, does this mean it is time for me to join the samurai rangers? " Traci asks.

"Yes, sweetie," Roslyn says.

"Mom, I can't be a ranger. I'm not ready," Traci says.

"Honey, I know you're worried about how things will go because of your dyslexia. You need to remember that you're part of a team, and a team supports its members." Roslyn says.

Roslyn leaves the room. She comes back with a small bag filled with a few things to help her daughter during her journey as a samurai ranger. Traci takes the bag from her mom. She opens it, and the snow leopard climbs out. It walks down onto the table. Traci closes the bag and puts it on her back. The nervous teen holds her hand, and the zord jumps into it and returns to its hexagon origami form. She puts it in the pocket of her coat. She hugs her mom goodbye. Ms. De La Rosa gives Traci one last thing the plane ticket to Panorama. She puts it in her other pocket and leaves the house. After Traci's plane lands at the Panorama City airport, she walks out the front door to see a car with the Shiba emblem on it. After getting in, the teen see one of her new teammates sitting in the back seat. Traci sets her bag on the floor and sits down next to her.