First Day Jitters

Pete knew he was late as soon as he walked through the doors of the school. There weren't any teens roaming the halls or at their lockers. The halls were empty and quiet. He hated the quiet.

He knew he'd be able to use the excuse that he was new and that's why he came late.  He could say he got lost or wasn't sure what time school started. But It'd be a lie. His mom showed him the exact location and even gave him his schedule yesterday.

He was late because he didn't want to come to yet another school and have to move again. He didn't want to go to another school period. He'd really rather be home schooled than get his head slammed into a locker by new people from new states each year.

His parents didn't get it. Changing schools wasn't going to change Pete. And it damn sure wasn't going to change the ignorance of today's society. Being gay was like having a little red target drawn on your forehead. And Pete was very gay. He refused to hide his sexuality just because it might make a few people uncomfortable. Or more like a lot of people.

He realized he was gay his freshman year of highschool. He didn't think it was a big deal so he let it be known. And as soon as he did, he was getting his ass handed to him left and right. It got so bad that Pete would come home with a new bruise, bump or scratch every day.

So his parents switched his school when he became a sophomore. Again, Pete refused to hide who he was. It was no secret that he liked the same sex. And it was no secret that no one in the school was open to that. So again, he got his ass handed to him everyday.

When they moved his junior year, he was smarter. He pretended to be straight. Just to have at least one good highschool experience. So he flirted with girls and fist bumped with guys. And things were going well. Until Pete started falling for his best friend. His friend seemed to like him too. Pete could specifically recall a few instances of him staring into his eyes longingly. Or his touches lingering on him. Finally Pete made a move. And needless to say, it backfired.

This was his last year in school. His parents thought moving west would be a smarter choice this time. And Pete decided the smarter choice for himself would be to just lay low. And when it came to his sexuality, he wasn't going to throw it in people's faces like freshman year. And he wasn't going to hide it like junior year. He was going to meet some where in the middle. More of a don't ask, don't tell policy.

If that didn't work then he was going to force his parents to let him be home schooled. He didn't think he'd ever have to use a day of this education anyway. Especially not for the career choice he had planned out.

He wanted to be a rock star. But not the Douchy, stereotypical rock star. He wanted his music to be more than something kids could headbang and slit their wrist to. He wanted to be the kind that trashed hotel rooms and then politely apologized in the morning. The one who wouldn't stay up all night partying because they had to get up at a reasonable hour in the morning. The one-

"Excuse me?"

Pete looked up from his sneakers to face the voice. Dragging himself from the daydream. There were two girls standing in front of him. Both pretty. Both taller than him. Not that it was hard to find girls taller than him. When you were standing at 5'6 in highschool, almost everyone was taller than you.

"Yeah?" Pete frowned. It wasn't that he had anything against the girls. That's just how his face was set. He was cursed with resting bitch face.

"Are you like new?" The tallest one asked him. Her fingers reaching up to twist in her long, brown hair. Her full bottom lip was being bit between her teeth.

"Yeah."

"Are you a senior?"

"Yeah."

"Can't you say anything besides yeah?" The shorter friend snapped.

The taller one elbowed her. Throwing her a death glare. "Cool it, Sarah." She warned before turning to Pete with a smile. "I'm a senior too. My name is Meagan. You can call me MJ."

"Like Michael Jackson?"

Her following laugh was high pitched. It sounded like a fake laugh to Pete. From the look her friend, Sarah, was giving her, it was a fake laugh. She twisted her hair with her fingers again. Horrific realization soared through Pete. She was flirting with him. Or at least trying to flirt with him. What if she asked him out? He'd have to tell her he was gay. And then he'd be tortured for yet another school year. On the first damn day.

"What's your name?"

"Pete."

"That's a really cute name."

"It's a common name."

"But a cute common name." Sarah put in suddenly. "I'm Sarah by the way."

"Cool."

Pete shifted uncomfortably on his feet. He stuck his hands in his back pockets. Glancing around the barren hall. Trying to look anywhere but at the girls.

"So do you like need help finding your classes?" Sarah asked.

"Yes actually." Pete tapped his finger against the folded sheet in his pocket. He pulled it out and handed it to her.

She carefully unfolded the paper. Like it was some kind of porcelain artifact or something. Pete's foot tapped in impatience but they both ignored it.

"You have Advanced English first." She beamed. "I know where that is!"

"We'll take you there!" Meagan linked her arm with his.

"We can all walk together." Sarah linked with his other arm.

Pete let them drag him to the classroom. He'd never been more confused in his life. No one had ever paid this much attention to him. Especially not extremely pretty girls. What the hell was going on here?