10- My Mistake

"When I said that we could do something for lunch, I thought that you meant going to a restaurant for sushi or a sandwich or something," I tell Hudson. When we met to go to lunch earlier today, I noticed that he wasn't walking toward the parking lot but toward the roof.

"I'm just full of surprises," He tells me with a small smile as we're standing outside of the door that leads to the roof. "I checked the forecast and there's no rain so we should be all set."

"Score," I mutter as we're going up the stairs. "But you don't have any food and I really am hungry."

"I've got it covered."

"Of course you do."

"Of course I do," He mimics me with a laugh. The rooftop looks unchanged from the other day when I was up here. The chairs are still looking over the short roof with a small plastic table between them. "What do you want for lunch?"

I blink at him as he's sitting down on one of the lawn chairs. I try to hide my confusion but when he's offering me lunch when there's obviously no food up here, it's hard to not be confused. "Um, well I'm up for anything, I guess."

As I'm sitting down on the other lawn chair, he offers me an amused grin, sensing my confusion at his question. "I'm going to have Nicole bring us lunch."

"Your assistant?"

"One of my assistants," He corrects me. "Yeah."

"My mistake," I roll my eyes at him. "But really, how many assistants does one person need?"

"I'm a very busy guy," Hudson states, nodding at me.

"Too busy to get your own coffee?" I raise my eyebrows at him.

"They don't just get my coffee for me," He defends. "They pick up my lunch when I'm too busy talking to you, they talk to you when I'm too busy doing movie stuff, they run lines with me, set up meetings, stuff like that."

"I think that if you want to talk to me you need to not send your assistant to come talk to me for you because that's ridiculous," I inform him, remembering how ridiculous I felt when Nicole had come to talk to me on behalf of Hudson because he was doing costume stuff for the movie.

"That only happened one time and it was because I was worried about you," He justifies. "But okay, I promise that I probably won't do that again."

"That's a completely useless promise," I say with a loud laugh. "You can't use the word 'probably' in a promise, that just defeats the whole purpose of it. Like saying, 'I promise that I maybe won't murder you in your sleep' or 'I promise that I don't think that I'll punch you in the face but I'm still considering my options'."

"Definitive promises aren't very realistic though," Hudson tells me as he pulls out his phone and starts texting somebody. "If I say probably then I know that I can keep said promise. But you can never predict the future, Iris. Maybe you will murder that person in his or her sleep. Maybe you will want to punch that person at some later point in your life, you don't know."

"That's just a way out of a promise," I shake my head at him. "A loophole. Promises are supposed to be definitive."

"Alright, well I'll keep that in mind. And because you didn't answer my question, I'm just going to order pizza," He announces as he sends a text and puts his phone back into his pocket. "So it'll be here in a little while."

"Why couldn't we have just gone to a restaurant?" I ask him curiously.

"Because then Dalton, Zach, and Aspen would have wanted to come with us," He explains to me and there's a little tone in his voice that sounds like he thinks that his response was completely obvious.