6- I Think That You're Cool

"You could have been dead in a ditch for all that I know!"

"I know, Mom, but I-"

"And you waited until two in the morning to send me a text letting me know that you're okay? I almost called the police, Iris! Not to mention how scrambled that text was—what was that about? Were you drinking? Is that why you didn't come home?"

"I have to get to-"

"I know that you're nineteen and that makes you think that you're an adult but you're still only a teenager and you live under my roof so if you plan on staying out all night, I at least expect a timely notice. Call beforehand or something. You nearly gave me a heart attack."

My mom is still lecturing me over the phone as I'm riding in the car with Marina and Marina's neighbor, Mrs. Grams, to the studio for work. I expected this lecture from my worried mother, I was just hoping that she'd wait until after work so that I wasn't so painfully hungover when it happened. I was not ready for this.

I situate the shirt that I'm wearing because it's Marina's and we're not exactly the same size. She's a size smaller than me and a few inches shorter which makes her shorts very short on me and the shirt kind of tight. I could have worn the clothes that I had been wearing the day before but they smelled kind of bad so I opted out of that.

"I know. I'm sorry," I mumble, leaning my head against the glass of the car window. I'm talking quietly so that Marina and her old neighbor can have a conversation in the front seat without having to listen to me getting yelled at by my mother like I'm five years old. I know that she's right but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. "I'm alright though, and I wasn't drinking I was just tired when I texted you."

"I don't believe that for a second," She mutters to me but she's getting quieter so I can tell that she's relenting a little bit. Maybe she's getting to work now so she has to quiet down. "But I'm glad that you're safe. I really was incredibly worried about you, Iris."

"I know. It's just that time got away from us last night. I promise that it won't happen again," I assure her as we're pulling into the large parking lot of the studio.

"Is this you acting out because of Kurt?" She asks me, now sounding more worried than she does angry. "Honey, I know that this change in his medicine is a little hard to deal with but he's going to get through it. We're all going to get through this."

"I know," I say for the fourth time in the past ten minutes. The best way to get out of this is to just agree with her. "But this isn't about Kurt, I promise. I was just out with some friends. The music was loud so I didn't hear you calling and I just totally forgot. I'm sorry. I was just having some fun."

"Okay, well I have to get to work. We're going to talk about this more tonight, got it?" She demands of me.

"Yes," I sigh as Mrs. Grams parks the car in front of the entrance to the building and we get out of the car. I offer the nice lady a smile and a wave as Marina verbally thanks her and then once we're out of the car, she waves back and then drives away. With my car still parked off of Sunset Strip and Marina's car still here at the studio, Mrs. Grams was nice enough to offer us a ride to work today that way Marina can drive me to my car during lunch and then everything is back to normal. "I'll see you tonight. I love you."

"I love you too, Iris. I'll talk to you tonight," She tells me before the line goes dead and then I push my phone into my bag.

"Sounded brutal," Marina observes as we walk into the studio.

"You have no idea," I mumble. "You have the dresses and everything, right?"

"Yep. I'm going now and I'm going to put everything back. You don't have to worry about a thing," She assures me, flashing me a forced (hungover) smile before she's disappearing out of sight to hurry into wardrobe. I don't know why she leaves without me because I have to get back there to get my hair and makeup done. I don't know what we're filming today because I think we finished the concert scene yesterday but I'll figure out soon enough.