Chapter 9

I stared off the balcony, my eyes tracing the skyline of the city. My eye was swelling, the pain throbbing as it created a headache. I leaned my head back against the chair, shutting my eyes as I tried to ignore the aching sensation in my heart. 

My mom and I used to come out to this balcony every night to look over the city. And tonight was the night we were supposed to honor her memory, and I had gone and started a bar fight. But I couldn't let him talk to her like that, no matter the consequences. There was something in me that physically wouldn't allow me to stand by and watch. I had no idea what it was, but I knew it was more powerful than my reasoning. 

I opened my good eye as I heard the door open. Emma stepped in, shutting the door softly behind her. She sighed heavily, leaning her forehead against the door, her shoulders slumped. I waited for her to say something, but she was silent. I sat up, my muscles tense as I waited for her to speak. She took deep breaths in, letting out long, tired ones. I could no longer take the silence, my heart thudding in anticipation. "Emma-"

"Fletcher, what the hell was that?" she finally asked, turning around to face me. I blinked in response, stunned silent. I felt tears sting my eyes as I looked at the disappointment and frustration that glimmered in her eyes. 

I shrugged my shoulders half heartedly, not having a good response. I didn't really have a justification, not one that I could explain. "Did you think I couldn't handle it myself or something?" she asked, her hands on her hips. 

"No, I-"

"Because last time I checked I'm a highly trained guard that's saved your ass more than once" 

"I know-"

"You think I wanted that? Because trust me, I wanted nothing more than to take him down and punch his face until his nose was broken. But I didn't! I didn't because that's not what your father asked. He didn't want a scene" 

"I know but-"

"But that's what you did! You marched over there and punched him in the face right before I handled it peacefully! I went through that whole thing, letting that creep get near me, just so I wouldn't cause a scene but you destroyed that. That was an event to remember you mom. Your dad wanted it to perfectly-"

"I know!" I shouted, catching her attention. "I'm sorry, okay?" I breathed, turning away from her as I felt tears sting my eyes. Emma sighed, shaking her head. "I know all of that. I know that you can stick up for yourself and I know that you were trying not to make a scene. I know that this was supposed to be a flawless night and I know that my father is disappointed in me. I know all of that, so you don't have to reiterate it" 

"Then why'd you do it?" Emma asked, her arms falling to her side as she moved closer. She leaned against the railing, facing the chair I was sitting in. "You're a smart guy, so obviously you knew all of this before you did it, so why did you?" 

"I don't know" I muttered, shrugging my shoulders. Emma scoffed, rolling her eyes. 

"You don't know? So you thought you'd just do it for the heck of it?" Emma asked as I scoffed, shaking my head at her. 

"No! Of course not!" I replied, biting down on my tongue. 

"Then why? Why Fletch? Please explain it to me" she stared at me with her scolding eyes. I crossed my arms over my chest, shrinking back into my chair. Emma waited, drumming her nails on the railing. I sighed, gnawing on my lip. "Fletcher" Emma warned, a sigh escaping me. "Fletcher-"

"I couldn't! I just couldn't sit back and watch him treat you like that!" I shouted suddenly, unable to keep it in. "Rationally, I knew. I knew what you were doing and I knew that you were fine. But I-I couldn't help it Em! I heard the waver in your voice and remembered the last time you had to take care of a drunk at a ball. And I saw his hand on your arm and the way he was talking to you, it just-it made me sick! And then he grabbed your hips and I lost it. I couldn't do it! I'm sorry I messed everything up but I couldn't help it, okay? I couldn't just sit back and watch him treat you like that-"