I turned to my dad with wide eyes. "Did she just mom me?" I asked in disbelief, my father chuckling as he nodded. 

"Yes, yes she did" he hummed, glancing up with warm eyes. He looked at me for a moment, his smile growing wider. "She's right, you do need a shower"  he muttered as I released an exasperated sigh, trudging towards the bathroom. I froze as I looked in the mirror, horrified by my appearance. I ran my hand over my chin, a chuckle escaping me as I started up the shower. She fricken' momed me. 

+

"You almost ready sweetheart?" I asked, leaning against the door as I rapped my knuckles against the wood. I heard her mutter something from the other side, my hand tugging nervously at the collar of my tux. I hated wearing these formal suit, they always made me feel so awkward. 

"Okay" Emma announced, pulling the door open. I jerked back, my eyes going wide. She looked stunning, her blonde hair curled, resting on her shoulders. She wore a baby blue dress which had a satin blue belt around the ribs. She looked beautiful, like-like an angel. "Well?" she asked, smoothing out the dress with her hands. 

"You look beautiful" I breathed, a smile coming across Emma's face along with a blush. 

"You look pretty good yourself" she teased, poking me in my ribs. I laughed, shaking my head. I held out my arm, Emma linking hers with mine as we began to descend the stairs. 

"You know, when you told me you were wearing a dress, I definitely pictured a tight dress with a slit up the leg. Something very Mrs. Smith" I teased, Emma rolling her eyes as she elbowed me. "I'm kidding!" I laughed as a smile cracked across her face. "I like this much better" I complimented as she tucked her hair behind her ear. 

"So, you ready for this?" she asked as we reached the bottom of the stairs. I glanced down at her wrist, noticing her watch which was between pearl bracelets. At a closer look, I noticed an earpiece too. It set me on edge, because there was always a possibility that there could be someone in my house who wanted me dead. 

"Yeah, of course" I lied, offering a convincing grin. Besides the fact that someone who wants me dead could be here, there was also the fact that this was a ball in my mother's memory. My mother who was killed by the same people who want me dead now. The anniversary of her death was right around the corner and I wasn't sure I was ready to face it. 

"Good" Emma grinned, squeezing my arm. We paused in front of the grand doors, our eyes meeting. The crowd inside could already be heard, seeing as we were making a late entrance for, as I called it, a dramatic effect. That and the fact that I wanted to spend as little time in there as possible. "Everything's going to be just fine. I'll be there, the whole time" she reminded me, as if sensing my anxiety. 

"Good" I breathed, nodding as I convinced myself that this would be just fine. "Let's go then" I smiled, pushing open the doors. My eyes went wide as the room was full of people, people in fancy gowns and people in suits. People around the bar and people sitting at the many tables. There were people dancing to the classy music that filled the air, and there was a lot of talking. "On second thought, lets go back up stairs please" I whispered, Emma giving my arm a reassuring squeeze. 

"It'll be fine. Over before you know it" she whispered, leaning her head on my shoulder. I nodded, taking a deep breath in before letting it out. She was right, I was over reacting. We entered the crowd, groups of people coming up to us. 

It consisted of the same thing. "Fletcher! My how big you've gotten! Who's this lovely lady with you? How's college going?" all the same questions, over and over again. Yes, I've grown up. It's called science. This is Emma, my best friend, girl who I may have a pretty big crush on, and my bodyguard. College is shitty like always. After a while I was having a hard time coming up with bullshit small talk which is when I let Emma take over.