Dream Catch Me - Chapter Seventeen (Joe's P.O.V)

Start from the beginning

"Oh I see..." Nan was always doing this ever since I could remember. She would pretend she knew something about something with that mischievous smile and tone that implied she 'knew'. Let's say it used to work very well when I was younger. As a young boy she used to 'know' whether or not I had snuck a cookie from the cupboard or not. I soon came to realise she really knew nothing and could find a way around her ways.

"Now that you're both here, and it is the busiest time, I'm going to go get a cup of tea and then go home for a nap. Could you please lock up Joey? I'm feeling a bit under the weather today," Nan sounded exhausted. She had been working hard most her life to make a name of herself, to look after her family and still keep a steady job. It was now that it was all catching up on her and it didn't help that my parents were no longer here to help her out. Their loss brought a huge weight down on my Nan but I found it amazing how she could recover from their deaths to still be there for me.

"Sure thing Nan, go put your feet up!"

As soon as Nan had hobbled out the door taking her walking stick with her, Jane turned to me and said, "So what do we do now Joey?" with a smirk on her face. I didn't appreciate the name calling. But it sounded nice coming out of her mouth in her melodic tone. Man oh man, I was getting too attached.

"Don't call me that, your name can't be shortened or made into anything embarrasing so it's unfair." I pouted, which just managed to make her laugh more.

"That's right Joey, the beauty of having an unoriginal Mother and Father for parents." As she said this she seemed sad, like the mention of her parents brought an instant sadness to her. We managed to work together in sync and more and more customers entered the store. Jane was a drug to me. I wanted to see more of her. Be around her and be there for her. Like... A boyfriend I suppose?

When we went to lunch I did something crazy and grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the store. Not only because I wanted her to eat and that was probably the only way it was going to happen, but also because I wanted to touch her. I wanted to feel that sense that travelled all around my body. It was better than the endorphins I got from my run, it was better than any drug. Her skin was so soft under my hand that I didn't want to let go but I had to so I didn't look too creepy, and because I had to lock the door behind me.

We went across to the Italian restaurant I had recommended to her earlier this morning and I ordered two pizzas for us to eat, and we took them back to the store after waiting ages for them. Jane wasn't too keen on the idea of eating but she didn't say anything about it, which I was hoping was a good sign. I lead her further out the back of the store where I knew the sun hit this time of day, perfect or a nice lunch.

While she didn't eat much we had a pleasant conversation about the store's history, something my family is extremely proud of. When they said they couldn't do it and wouldn't succeed my Nan and Gramps showed them they were wrong. That's probably why I love working at the store sometimes, as well as helping my Nan out.

-

Jane and I had been working together well and had fit into an easy routine but later on in the day I got a phone call during my shift. I went to answer it out the back. It wasn't important, just Nan asking how things were and if Jane was coping. I had to say it twice and loud before she finally got the message, her ears along with many other things aren't working as well as they used to, her hip the worst off.

By the time I had finally got off the phone, it had been 10 minutes, hoping Jane had been coping all right I rushed back out to be greeted with an empty shop and Jane no where in sight.

"Jane?" I called out questioningly, where could she be? It's not like there were a lot of customers for her to attend to.

"Yeah!" I heard shouted back at me, her voice was a bit shaky and filled with some kind of fear. She rounded one of the shelves and relief washed over me but as Christopher came into view I tensed up again. I knew he was involved in some gang business, probably to do with drugs and prostitution of some kind.