05 | draco's story

Start from the beginning

"Done," repeated Draco as he blew eraser shavings off the paper.

Harry blinked. "I love it."

Draco heaved a sigh, leaning back on the chair. He gazed at Harry. "Is there anything on your mind?"

"Just... thinking up a plot to make you innocent."

"How are you going to do that?"

Harry thought for a second, then admitted, "I don't know yet."

"You're Harry Potter, you can do anything."

"I don't know, this is asking for a lot," Harry joked. Silence enveloped them.

"Can I ask you a question?" Harry said.

"Ask away."

"I never got your full story about the war."

"My story? Why would you care about my story?"

"It might help. In getting you innocent, I mean. Plus, I'm curious. I can never help being curious." Harry pulled up a chair and stared intently at Draco. Finally, the blonde sighed.

"During the war, Voldemort... kinda tortured me, continuously." Draco looked up to see Harry biting back a smile. He gave him an incredulous look. "What?!"

Harry laughed. "That was morbid."

"What?!" Draco's confusion was clear on his face.

"No, nothing, Draco," Harry said with a ghost of a smile. "Continue."

"Well... He forced me into getting a Dark Mark."

Whatever laugh Harry hid died. He lowered his gaze. "He didn't force you," the Auror muttered. "You always have a choice."

"Not when he threatens to kill your loved ones, Harry. Not when your entire family has been Death Eaters, not when your back is against the wall and everyone is counting on you to do what he says. You know how it feels, don't you? To have to make the choice between what you want to do and what you need to do? You think I wanted to be a Death Eater?"

"I think you didn't say otherwise."

"What do you expect me to do, Harry?! He threatened to kill everyone I loved. What would you do in that situation?!" Before Harry could open his mouth to answer, Draco scoffed. "Oh wait, I forgot. You're the Chosen One. The brave, daring, compassionate Gryffindor who would always find a way to save everyone. News flash, Harry. Not everyone's like you. Some people can't have both. Some have to choose. Like me. And I would prefer to have my loved ones alive." Draco was breathing hard now, daring Harry to challenge his logic again.

Harry held Draco's gaze for a few seconds before sighing and lowering his stare. "Sorry. Keep talking."

Draco closed his eyes before continuing, slowing his heartbeat.

"When he branded me with the Dark Mark, I supposed that he wouldn't want to do much with me. After all, I was only Draco Malfoy. I thought if he needed something important done, he would give it to someone more experienced. No harm would come, because he would be distracted with you. Right?"

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"Wrong," continued Draco. "He gave me the task of assassinating Dumbledore. By this time, I was confused."

Harry scoffed, which earned him a glare from Draco. "Confused? What could you possibly have been confused about? Voldemort's orders?"

Draco leaned back before answering. "You said you wanted to hear my story, Harry. It'd be a lot easier to tell it if you would promise to listen."