02 | is this real?

Harry and Draco made it back to 12 Grimmauld Place, and Draco was astonished by the way Harry had tried to lighten up the place.

"You really went all out to make this place bright and happy, huh?" Draco asked, glancing around at the room.

"All in my attempts to block the war nightmares out of my mind, Draco," Harry explained, leading him into an empty guest room that contained nothing but a mattress and a couple desks.

Draco took one look and rolled his eyes at Harry. "Seriously?"

"Would you rather sleep on a mattress in a house or on the ground in the woods?" Harry pointed out with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'll take it," Draco says again, walking into the room to check it out.

Harry found himself smiling despite himself. It was nice to have someone to keep him company, even if it was a Death Eater, but it was Draco Malfoy, and for some reason, that was okay to Harry.

"You know, I would've expected something more like a grand mansion, for the famous Harry Potter," Draco said, spreading his arms and smirking at Harry.

"Yes well, the famous Harry Potter would much rather just have a little house that can remind him of family."

Draco let his arms fall, and looked at Harry with a concerned look. "Doesn't it remind you of death?"

"What do you mean?"

"This place. It doesn't remind you of death? You know... It was your godfather's... He's dead... Didn't the Order of the Phoenix meet here? A lot of them are dead..." Draco raised his eyebrows, giving Harry a wry grin.

"Wow, thanks for the reminder, Draco."

"I don't know, Potter, but did you ever think that maybe living here triggered your nightmares?"

"The war against Voldemort triggered my nightmares, thank you very much." Harry sighed, and walked into his small kitchen. "Have you had a proper meal since the war ended?"

"Yes, Potter, I had an eight-course meal with appetizers and dessert the other day."

"Harry," the boy corrected, before starting to cook.

"I never knew you could make such good food from scratch," Draco said, digging into the food again.

"Merlin, Draco. It took me an hour to make this. You're going to devour it in less than five minutes." Harry stared at the blonde, who was stuffing food into his mouth.

Harry would never have admitted it, but seeing Draco satisfied and seeing him finally get a good meal, made Harry happy.

Before he knew it, Draco had finished the entire meal.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly as Harry's jaw dropped at how fast he had eaten it.

"No worries," Harry laughed and shook his head. "I had a big lunch. I wasn't that hungry anyway. You should probably go to sleep."

Draco nodded, getting up out of his chair and heading toward his room. He looked back at Harry, leaning against the doorway, and smiled a genuine smile, for the first time in a long time. "Thanks for this, Potter."

The blonde heads inside, but then pokes his head out again. "Harry," Draco corrects himself with a grin.

Harry found himself wearing a giddy smile when he dozed off to sleep in his own bed. Perhaps it was merely the company of having another human being in his house again, or perhaps it was something more.