Chapter 1,

"Madison Grier, get down here!" Mum yelled at me, from the bottom of the staircase; probably drunk. "What?!" I opened the door, annoyed; yelling back at her.

"Get down here!" She yelled, as I peeped a look at her. Her face went bright red, scaring me a bit. When she's like this, I know something bad is going to happen. 

I ran downstairs, telling myself to be tough and not let her get to you. Once I reached her, I crossed my arms across my chest.

"Yes mum?" I acted like I didn't damn thing, showing no fear. "Do you think I'm stupid?" Mum pointed at the ground, gritting her teeth.

"No?" I questioned myself and her. "Then what is this?" She lifted up her wallet, that was now emptied.

"Your wallet?" I tried to lighten the mood. "No you idiot! My money, where is it?" She slammed her wallet onto the floor, frightening me a bit; causing me to flinch.

"Mum you spent it last night?" My voice squeaked out. "I spent your dad's money last night. Im now looking for my money. Where is it?!" She leaned up against the table, that holds flowers, that are practically dead.

"Mum you have been drinking again, haven't you?" I stepped back, feeling the alcohol breath dance around my nose. "Madison Grier, don't you dare say that," She got close to me, stumbling over in the process.

"Mum please don't do it again," I stumbled back up against the wall, covering my face; my voice coming out as weak as someone not being able to breathe. "Maddie, please don't say that!" She grabbed my arm and twisted it; her eyes jumping with joy.

"Ow," I let out a little whine; her arm gripping tighter and tighter by the second.

She started punching my arm, then my face around my eye area. I screamed out in pain, and started begging her to stop.

Even though I was the one in pain, she started crying and crying. All she kept on saying was 'sorry', which makes no absolute sense to me.

I managed to get my hands on top of my mum's hand, while she was heavily breathing. I started to pull her hand off of mine, but it wasn't working.

After a few tugs of getting her hand off of my now sore wrists, I slipped right past her and heard her fall onto the wall I once stood by.

I kept on going, only focusing on getting out of this hell hole. Once I got outside, I ran. I just kept on running, until I ended up on Sammy's doorstep.

Sammy is a boy, that is sixteen years old. We are both the same age, and into literally the same thing. We met each other on our first day of elementary school, which made me feel better about going to a school of strangers.

I stumbled my way up his doorsteps and fell against his door. I started banging onto it, frightened my mother was right behind me. 

"Sam, please open up!" My voice cracked, as I started banging harder. A piece of my heart went by, every time I knocked onto the door. 

The door quickly opened, with me falling and landing into Sammy's arms. I wrapped my arms so tight around him, not wanting to let him go, ever. 

"What's wrong Maddie?" Sammy was in shock, immediately wrapping his arms around me. "Pain," I sniffled, gripping tighter onto him.

"What?" He lifted my face up, gently touching my cheeks once our eyes connected. "My mum, she hit me again. She's thinking about everything again and just lost control," I ran out of breath; feeling my body tremble.